Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was zipping through this meadow and all of a sudden out of no where there was a hole in the ground, actually it was a ditch that had been wind blown in except for that spot. It was about ten feet deep( all the way to the dirt), and about the same perimeter as a single place trailer. Well I didn't see it until it was too late and I drove right in. Luckily the sled bounced out and I didnt get too stuck. But it put a little wrinckle in the tunnel where the front of the skid bolts on. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about what to do.[attachment=50884] [attachment=50887]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
call your insurance company and tell them you want your money cause you totaled your sled. no fixy. you should be able to get it better but it will never be strait again and will now be weaker.

bummer man

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I wish I had a good answer for you. Sorry to say it but I'd have to agree with WY in that the machine needs to have big parts replaced. You can knock it straighter but it will never clean up perfect and it will be prone to bending again. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Jeez, that really sucks man. If you rebuild the tunnel and stuff that is gonna cost you a lot of money.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I did a 25' drop off a cornice last year and actually cracked my tunnel on both sides in the same place as yours is bent. I usde a piece of 2x4 and a hammer to straighten the tunnel back out and then riveted a small steel plate from the underside of the tunnel and my sled has been fine since and I jump it and run it of drop all the time, holds great. The only sign of repair is the rivets on the ouside by your feet and nobody ever even notices's. Might find a tunnel on ebay though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking about trying to straiten it out and rivit on a piece of sheet metal. Did you put it on the inside or the outside of the tunnel. Also did you drop the skid and the drivers when you did it? It would be a big project and a lot of time to swich out tunnels.
Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a guy about an hour away that said he had a used one. What do you think a fair price is? maybe 150-200 dollars? and if I did get it should I pay the extra money and get the bulk head with it, or are they not too hard to detach.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
3 things you can do
1 - call the insurance company
2 - live with it
3 - Buy a new tunnel, don't buy used, they only cost $400 canadian, it is a big job to change, you basicaly do a complete tear down, I think skidoo flat rate is 10 hours, if you have some one to help that has done a tunnel change will help alot. A few days you should have it as good as new.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Originally posted by SnowAddiction
[br]No used tunnel huh, out of curiosity why? Will the tunnel continue to bend if I just live with it?
the tunnel will be weaker now that it is bent. and not only in that one area too. so thats why bending it back and putting a brace on it wont be as good as it was. also it wont be worth much when you go to sell it because when the tunnel is tweaked it is considered totaled.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Originally posted by SnowAddiction
[br]No used tunnel huh, out of curiosity why? Will the tunnel continue to bend if I just live with it?
Used one, full of holes and scratched ect. A new one is only 300-400 bucks. What will a used one cost?, I've changed out tunnels and they don't normally look pretty when pulled, if you can't afford a new tunnel I would just live with it, cause even if you made a insurance claim that will cost you more (your premium would increase)
Live with it, if you don't mind the dent, keep riding, it may bend more or it might not

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the great advice. so they dont look quite the same after a tunnel replacement operation? that is good to know. Ill see what a used tunnel would cost, but probably Ill let it be and just ride it as is.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
dude i wouldnt do that seriously what happens if your 150 miles away form the house and you go over a jump dont land perfect and snap your tunnel splits in 2? you could buy a new tunnle but as already stated thats gonna take for ever. could brace it and leave it btu then you have the chance of landing straight up and down and having your tunnel do the same thing again except probably worse. i'd say go call the insurance company yes it will cost you some money btu it will be allot off of a new sled.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well here is how it is planned to lay out. I ended up ordering a new tunnel. The local shop i worked at ordered me one for $325 out the door, Im stoked because the manager said they retailed for $460. During chrismas break, in a week, Ill tear it down and build it back up with the new tunnel. I decided on this because, as of now the sled isn't worth much. I wouldn't mind ridding it or fixing the tunnel, but when I do go to sell the sled, it is money well invested, and because I'm doing job myself I dnot have to pay 10 hours of 60$/hr labor. Oh yeah I dont have insurance.
Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
By far your best choice. For safety and reliability reasons. And besides itll be a fun project and youll get to know your sled a lot better. Knowledge gained from a project of this size is priceless. Good luck and hope you dont get any of those stubborn bolts.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
have fun. but seriously dude i knwo moneys tight for everyone but get insurance. if not to help fix yoru sled but if you get in accident and hit soemone they can sue you and get all your money

1 - 20 of 51 Posts