Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 1 1/2" challenger track on my 97 xcr and notice it's rubbing quite a bit on the tunnel protectors. My question is how to remove the protectors. Do I need to drop the suspension or can I remove the seat? If removing the seat is easier what is the easies way to remove it. Never done it before.

·
Registered
589 Posts
There are 2 bolts in the trunk compartment. Take those off, and unsnap the tank cover. There may be a spring in the front of the bulkhead that straps over the front of the fuel tank that will need to be removed as well as any fuel lines (only if you have a 1 piece tank/seat combo).

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
It sounds like you didn't get the Camoplast track that is notched for the heat exchangers.

I would check on that, go to the supplier you got the 1 1/2 track from and make sure that it is the correct track for your sled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what you mean by nothches for the heat exchangers. They are flush with the tunnel. What do the notches do?. I did remove the tunnel protectors this past weekend and It appears to plenty of room from top of track to the heat exchangers. And by the way It made a huge difference in acceleration. It was rubbing harder than I thought.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
There are notches in the paddles of the full block track where the tunnel protectors run, meaning the paddles are shorter in those 2 spots on each paddle, or staggered paddles just use a pattern that will not slap the exchangers.

I just checked with tracksusa.com, and the notched tracks are for sleds like mine with heat exchangers as wear strips.

Sorry bout that, I guess if you don't stud the track you should be OK if the paddles aren't smacking anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts