Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Tunnel protectors needed?

3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  trailblazer 
#1 ·
I'm getting studs for my daughter's '97 380 Form S (fan cooled). There are no heat exchangers underneath it; do I still need to install tunnel protectors? There isn't a spot to slide them into, unless you have to rivet them on or something. It looks like quite a bit of clearance underneath, but I don't want to damage her machine.

Thanks.

Jacqui.

#2 ·
I don't know for certain, but if I had to guess, I'd say that yes, you do need the tunnel protectors.

Also, I believe that all you have to do is rivet them to the tunnel, and you're good to go.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

#4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by hotrod:
Also its none of my business but unless your riding on hard hard pack or ice the majority of the time I wouldnt add studs.

[/quote]

When I first bought my sled we took it on a trip north for my first time riding it. We were going up a fairly steep roadside that was all icy and I kept sliding backwards down the grade (no picks). It was pretty scary at the time. Later in the day we were all racing across the lake, first time I opened it up. When we slowed down at the other side I hit glare ice and spun out, heading sideways and backwards straight for the other sleds in the group. I don't know who was more scared; me or the buddy with the brand new Machster I almost hit! lol Needless to say I IMMEDIATELY got 120 picks put on!

I figure that you might not need them all the time, but I'm sure glad they're there when you do need them! I won't send my daughter out on a sled without them.

Jacqui.

#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by hotrod:
Im afraid I dont know for sure either. but just want to add remember to set your track tension up correctly for stud use.

[/quote]

I had the picks put on at the dealer last time; how do I need to adjust the track tension for the studs? Looser? Tighter? How much?

Thanks.

Jacqui.

#10 ·
I'd be willing to put money on it that yes you do need tunnel protectors for the sled. i'd say that 96 would be plenty for a sled that size. But the tunnel protectors are there to do just what they say...protect the tunnel...not the coolers. Also the earlier post about track tension is correct. run it on the tight side of the measurement range the mfg suggests. I know looser is better for speed runs and everything, but you also run the risk of damaging stuff. Stay in the MFG range specified, and you will be fine.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

#12 ·
Ok. Thanks everyone.

I was hoping to pic the track with it on the sled; looks like I'll be dropping ANOTHER suspension this season in order to drill and rivet the tunnel protectors on. But I'd rather do it right the first time; I should be getting good at it by now!

#14 ·
Hey jacqui,

Not sure about ski-doo sleds, but my triumph tunnel was pre-drilled for the protectors. I didnt have to remove my track/suspension to do this either, i just slid them in from the rear of the sled. i bought them from my polaris dealer, the kit came with 2 protectors, all the necessary rivets and instructions. I do caution you to make sure you have a QUALITY pop rivet gun though. I ruined my gun, and my dads gun too...ended up buying a craftsman gun to pull the rivets. other than that, it was a straight forward process. At the very most you can remove the 2 rear suspension bolts to make studding the sled very easy. this would also give you great access to the tunnel to put in the protectors.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

#15 ·
That's a good idea, Triumph. I rigged up a hoist system in my garage with a block and tackle from the ceiling, so I'll be able to drop the back of the suspension and raise the sled as high as I need it. With those front bolts still in place it should be a lot easier to pop everything back together.

The sled is at my partner's right now so I can't look at it until the weekend, but I don't remember seeing any pre-drilled holes when I first looked; I think I would have noticed that.

I'll have to wait to work on it until we get my partner's Mxz out of the garage first; working on a broken drive chain. It's a good thing we enjoy wrenching on them almost as much as we like riding them!

Jacqui.

#20 ·
Can we? lol

Trailblazer was teazing me because he knew I was out with a girlfriend that night celebrating my birthday. Needless to say I was a hurting pup yesterday
; but we had a great time! I think we did, anyway!
BTW, that's my favourite happy face; it's how I look after a couple of beers!

Jacqui.

#21 ·
The topic reminds me of the first sled I ever bought, a '77 El Tigre 5000, with the air-cooled 500cc.

At some point in it's lifetime, its obvious the sled had studs that were WAY too long, track tension that was WAY too loose, or a combo of both, as pulling the seat revealed these "cuts" about 2 feet in length that ran down the length of the tunnel! The was nowhere near enough clearance for these studs and they just tore through the tunnel and begin tearing into the cushion of the seat!

Jacqui, my vote is do what you can to use tunnel protectors

'02 MXZx 800 RER

rm -f /bin/laden

#22 ·
Just thought I'd follow up to this.

Finally installed the picks and tunnel protectors last weekend. There are black scuff marks on the front of the tunnel where the track has rubbed, so without the tunnel protectors I would DEFINITELY have damaged the tunnel.

The tunnel was pre-drilled, but of course the holes didn't line up with the protectors so I drilled new ones. Removed the seat and gas tank to make sure I didn't damage them, though. I'm learning more about these sleds every day!

Jacqui.

#24 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Tfin70:
Great! Glad to hear everything worked out for ya. Sounds like you should be all set for some ridin' now.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"
[/quote]

Well, not quite. Whem we dropped the suspension we found a couple of bad wheels and bearings. Then one of the bearings was seized on the shaft and I couldn't get it out. Rather than bring it to work to put it in a press, I sent it back to my dealer to take care of. He told me when I bought it that the mechanic would go over it before he released it to me; obviously they missed this. He was really good about it, though, all apologies and is replacing the parts for me. I just need to get them back so I can get the sled back together.

On a brighter note, I got the ski skins and new carbides on last night. My daughter had painted the skis on the weekend. Then last night once again I'm out working by myself in the garage when my daughter shows up to see what she can do to help. She's such a good kid! I'll have to post a picture of her with her new toy when it's ready to roll.

Jacqui.

#25 ·
DOH!!!! Its always something, isn't it. At least your dealer owned up to his mistake and is taking care of it for you.

Yeah definately post some pics of the finished product, and keep thinkin' snow!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

#26 ·
Yea. This dealer (Blue Sky Marine, formerly Wagners, in New Hamburg, Ont.
near Kitchener.) is awesome. They always treated us really well.
I would highly recommend them.

Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.