Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to stud the wifes 03 supersport and was wondering if I need to install TP on this sled. Obviously it is not LC and I will only be installing 96 1 inch studs up the middle.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I don't have a sled with a studded track but I believe the only reason to run tunnel protectors is to keep the studs from tearing up the coolers in the tunnel. If its a fan you shouldn't need them unless you can compress the suspension far enough to cause damage to the tunnel it self. Look under the sled and see if there are any spots were the track has come in contact with the tunnel (black marks) If not I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
All I have on my ZRT are sliders where the cleats are, haven't had any problems, where you need to worry about is the front tho, check the clearence there.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well tunnel protectors dont protect the coolers, they protect the tunnel. Some of the liquid cooled polaris sleds have heat exchangers that act as tunnel protectors. But yes, you should install them on the supersport. Reason being is that at speed the track will "grow" in length due to the stresses of acceleration and centrifical force. When the track grows, the newly found slack moves up into the tunnel and could potentially be enough to allow the studs to start digging into the tunnel. Besides, those are cheap insurance, i believe they only cost around $25 for the pair right from the polaris dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I should probably put them on and for 25 bucks now I know I will. Thanks for the advice all!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Yeah, they are cheap insurance.I have seen some tunnels chewed up pretty bad, you don't want that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts