Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a sled in trade. It is a 2000 XCF 440 chassis with a 700 twin engine. The engine runs fine, and the sled looks very nice. Except for one small imperfection- the back of the tunnel looks like the Hulk kicked it.
I know that this is hard to "see" without pics, so ill try to get some, but stick with me. The previous owner was attempting to jump an extremely vertical snowbank, and wound up ditching the sled in midair. The sled came down straight onto the rear bumper area, squishing the tunnel. It then landed back onto the skis and stayed. Everything from the back of the gas tank forward is fine. Behind that, the tunnel has been forced into a V so sharply that it is pinning the track from moving. The seat popped off, and the suspension rails bowled out a little in the middle. Thats the extent of the damage, besides needing a new snow-flap and bumper!
Now the point of my post here is to ask- can i straighten this tunnel out, reinforce it with something? Some sort of long tunnel brace? And that is if i am able to actually pull the back end of the sled back down, making it flat again~

These are pics of xcf 440s in perfect shape, in case that helps anyone. In the first pic, right where the e is in edge on the tunnel is where the sled was pushed into the V shape.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I will preface this with i know little about fixing a bent sled, but it seems to me that with a straight edge and heat you should be able to straighten out the bent tunnel. Little help with dead blow hammer and 2X4 so you dont dent said tunnel. then maybe cut some aluminum to reinforce then tweaked areas. You could cut the "bracing materials" into flames or something like that for asetics and for support. Just a idea. Hope the idea helps.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I think u may be able to straighten it but I am not sure if u want to go the expensive route u could buy an Van Armburg tunnel, but that would be really pricey.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:
I think u may be able to straighten it but I am not sure if u want to go the expensive route u could buy an Van Armburg tunnel, but that would be really pricey.
Defnitly not a possibility. Im a college kid.

BrianLee said:
I will preface this with i know little about fixing a bent sled, but it seems to me that with a straight edge and heat you should be able to straighten out the bent tunnel. Little help with dead blow hammer and 2X4 so you dont dent said tunnel. then maybe cut some aluminum to reinforce then tweaked areas. You could cut the "bracing materials" into flames or something like that for asetics and for support. Just a idea. Hope the idea helps.
Great. I guess ill have to drop the rear suspension out to work on it too.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
One question, how is there a 700 l/c engine in there when it was originally a fan cooled 440 sled? Are you sure its not the xcr, with would be cross country racer, not the cross country fan? Any pics??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
if all else fails you could see if al's has one.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PolarisIndySKS said:
One question, how is there a 700 l/c engine in there when it was originally a fan cooled 440 sled? Are you sure its not the xcr, with would be cross country racer, not the cross country fan? Any pics??
shit, you were right, i dont know why i wrote that, must be because i have one of those to.
Correction, its the XCR 440 chassis! nice eye, bud.

crazyzrt600 said:
if all else fails you could see if al's has one.
yeah, they must.
Iv have a buddy of mine who is family to Demaris equipment in Orleans, gonna try to get me one.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
sweet if that dont work u could see if als would swap one of your unwanted sleds for a tunnel.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah, that might work
I dropped the suspension, and i can see that where the tunnel bent was right at the weak spot in the tunnel, where two pieces come together. Stupid design, i think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts