Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.. i have a 1992 indy 488 fan... i am turning it into a MOD sled.. i love it so much... i have a 4 inch riser with a pivot.. and a fatty bar on it rate now.. brake and throttle extensions.. and a cobra windsheild.. i am getting my hood done this summer.. and putting all extra 12 in it from a xlt special... so it is will sit nice and big.. and it will beable to take a beating! but anywase back to what i was getting at.. i need to know how hard it is to put a 500 liquid in my sled.. it is a 488 fan rate now.. so can anyone give me advice on how hard it is to do that..?
thanks..
vince

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I see this question all the time and I laugh a little each time. It's a huge job, you'll need the motor first of all, all of the cooling system, carbs, wiring harness, chain case components, clutching to match, ... . It would be easier and cheaper to sell your 488 and buy your liquid cooled sled of choice.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
First you need a cooling system. Which is under the running boards and toward the front of the tunnel on the wedge chassis. I couldnt tell you if your going to need new mounts but I would count on it.

In my opinion you will be much better off just buying a 500 in a chassis and just transfer your parts over to it. They are just bars and risers so you would be better off finding a xtra 10 suspension sled (which by the way is a better rough trail suspension) and going with a 500 or even 600 already setup for that chassis.

If you are going for a project then all the power to ya. You will find the information on here there are a lot of very knowlegable guys and gals on here.

·
Registered
764 Posts
ya the biggest thing is running your coolant lines, and mounting coolers, then changing the whole wiring harness system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
take a look at this thread, a guy turns his supersport fan into a 500 liquid
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34091&SearchTerms=fan,to,liquid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts