Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here have atwist throttle on there sled. I want to get, or atleast think i want to get one. The thing is that I cant find em anywhere. If anybody has one could u tell me if u like it or not. Also if anybody knows where i can get one,like of the internet or somethin.[?]

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I've heard of people who try this. They say it works like crap. They say it often freezes. Say you bust a drift, and u get snow all over handlebars. This melts and gets into the twisting mechanism. Then it's frozen.

There is a reason snowmobile manufacturers don't put twist throttles stock. It's because it doesn't work well. Another thing is I doubt your handwarmer wires would appreciate being twisted like that all the time. Without a clutch, I don't think it's safe.

Even snocross racers don't put twist throttles on their machines. And most snocross racers ride dirtbikes as well, so there must be a reason for that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Theres a good reason other than the one about freezing. Phil Michelson from Snowgoer explains that on a cycle you sit relatively still and lean the bike.On a sled {or ATV} you slide around on the seat and hang off the sled to turn.Try hanging off the right side of your sled using the right grip to keep from falling off and then imagine trying to regulate a twist throttle at the same time. It just doesn't work well.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Good point spaceman. I suppose that's why they use thumb throttle on ATV's as well.

G

·
I have thought about it for years. Never done it. While I was growing up I rode dirt bikes all winter long. On the lakes, through the snow everything. I like the twist grip. I would like to try it on a snowmobile sometime also. I ride 4 wheelers also, they need twist grip. I hate the thumb thing. My hands are small and I have a hard time hanging on the bars with my thumb stretched out so far. I can see the point about freezing but I think that could be engineered out of the equation. I mean, if Yamaha can make a 4 stroke, and ski-doo can make a REV. Someone could make a twist grip that wouldn't freeze.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
As mentioned twist grips on a sled are a bad idea unless you tour down the trails at minimal speed. If that is the case then it may be OK.
On serious mountain sleds we add a throttle lever to the mountain bar because you aren't even hanging on to the right side bar.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
What about what spaceman said, about pulling on the right handlebar while cornering. There is no way you can say you "don't lean" when you corner with your sled.

When cornering with a bike, you basically tip the machine way over, you don't just turn the bars. Often on a sled the sled is either level or leaning slightly away from the inside of the corner, so you lean your body the opposite direction to counteract that. Usually involves gripping the inside bar. While I was riding today I took note of it and a twistgrip would be nearly impossible to regulate your throttle while cornering, especially turning right.

You won't see it on stock sleds any time soon anyway. It's not even in the cards, otherwise you would see it on race sleds or magazines or something.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Snowhawk isn't a snowmobile. It's a dirt-bike-wannabe.

Plus with it you corner like a bike, by tipping it way over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts