Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 650 triple.

Two plugs have sparks, third is dead. Looks like it has independant coils. Any way I could test prior to buying a new one? Btw, its the one closest to the clutch side.

IT

·
Registered
115 Posts
first have you tried switching plugs? Also try switching plug wire between the coils. If nothing happens prolly a dead coil. Should be mroe the 25$. Your local shop should be able to test it if you take it off the sled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If 2 are working then that 3rd coil has to be dead (barring a broken wire to it or something stupid like that) - I have a 97 & there interchangeable - I swapped mine to confirm the problem when I lost a cylinder

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I agree. Try swapping either/and/or the wires and coils to see what is giving you problems. Also, any stealer will be able to test your coil for you (mine did it for free on my bike believe it or not).

If you have access to a manual, it should give you the ohm specs to check the coil yourself. I just went through this same kind of thing on my bike. Two dead cylinders out of four. My manual was a god-send for testing things. In my case, it was the cdi box that was bad, not the magnetic pulse generator, coils, or wires. So if your coils and wires check out, that might be one more thing to think about.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Indy triple did you ever figure out if it was a coil? If you need a coil I just so happen to have a new one with plug wire that will go right on that motor. I'll give you a hell of a deal on it. Riley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts