Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always understood the idea behind the two-stroke motor and how it operates but I was just wondering how the oil is injected into the cylinder and why does the oil have to be burned off along with the fuel?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
On the intake stroke, the air flows into the carbs past the jets, which introduce the proper amount of gasoline. Then the air/fuel mixture passes the oiling port, and oil is injected. The oil/gas/air mix is then drawn into the crankcase, where the oil/gas lubricates all the bearings.

On the power stroke, the downward motion of the piston pressurizes the crankcase, forcing the oil/fuel/air mixture up through the cylinder ports into the cylinder, to be compressed and burned for the next power stroke.

On some engines, there are also additional direct oil lines that go to bearings, usually the outside ones that don't get a lot of oil from the oil/fuel/air mix.

The oil is burned off because there is no mechanism to separate it from the air/fuel/oil mix to reuse it for lubrication.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
holy Sh** thanks...are you a mechanical engineer or something?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally posted by snowsoon
[br]are you a mechanical engineer or something?
You'd be surprised at how little most mechanical engineers know about ANYTHING mechanical, such as the operation of an engine of any sorts. There are a few rebels, myself included, that take more pride in the ability to spin a wrench, than to crunch numbers, but we are the minority. After being around future engineers for the past 4.5 years, it literally scares me to think that some of these people will be involved in the process of designing something that I may own or be around.

BC_Dan had the perfect explanation. Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by 07Phazer
[br]
You'd be surprised at how little most mechanical engineers know about ANYTHING mechanical, such as the operation of an engine of any sorts....
Kinda taking this off topic, but you are right. I was quite amazed when I was at NDSU at some of the kids involved in that major.

You have to be pretty book smart to get through that course, of course that tends to follow along with people that seem to lack in mechanical experience as well as some common sense. If you have ever worked on things you know where I am coming from.

I also find that in the mechanic classes, it's amazing they passed the tests to get in. [B)]

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'm not an engineer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;)

Actually, I'm a firefighter... that is addicted to snowmobiles! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by BC_Dan
[br]I'm not an engineer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;)

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day. Don't get me wrong, i'm not a dumbass or anything, it was just the way you worded it that made it sound super knowledgable and smart. Maybe I should have rephrased myself and asked "are you an english teacher or something"

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Originally posted by 07Phazer
[br]
You'd be surprised at how little most mechanical engineers know about ANYTHING mechanical, such as the operation of an engine of any sorts. There are a few rebels, myself included, that take more pride in the ability to spin a wrench, than to crunch numbers, but we are the minority. After being around future engineers for the past 4.5 years, it literally scares me to think that some of these people will be involved in the process of designing something that I may own or be around.

BC_Dan had the perfect explanation. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Def part of that minority myself Phazer. You wouldnt believe some of the waterheads that I went to school with, or currently work with for that matter. Cant even change their own brakes for cryin out loud, f'in ass clowns they are.

Sorry for the rant.

btw: good elaboration dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts