Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Two Stroke Snowmobiles

3K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Bames 
#1 ·
This is the first web page it came up with. It is an article that is full of BS, but humorous.

http://www.wildlandscpr.org/biblio-notes/infl-uence-snowmobile-emissions-air-quality-and-human-health

#3 ·
Smoking is hazardous to people's health and creates air particles as well as hydrocarbons and smoke and i bet its more than snowmobiles make.....are they gonna ban smoking too?

#12 ·
I typed the same thing on Yahoo and the same article was first on the list as well.. guess it must be true!!! [Imaposer][Imaposer][Imaposer]

#13 ·
Well you can make statistics support and prove whatever you want it doesnt mean much to me, however this kind of stuff pisses me off. I just want to know where they get all this BS, is some guy sitting at home makin this stuff up. We just need a statistic to prove to the government just how much revenue snowmobiles make and we probably wont have to worry about them getting banned everywhere.

After you beat them with the trailling arm maybe just tie them onto your sled and drag them around while you continue to chase the bison.

Yes diesel do pollute but most people dont let there RV's run the entire time they are in there they just get to there camp spot and shut it off.

I'll never trade my 2-stroke for a 4-stroke, i road a 4-stroke yammi and it was the heaviest, most gutless thing I have ever ridden. I was scared to take if of trail, figured as soon as I hit powder it would sink like a rock in water.

#14 ·
Did some extra research on the subject, found that 2 stroke sleds were band because the Winter Wildlands Alliance conviced other groups to sign a petition.... Maybe if a petition was sent around to all of the snowmobilers to open it back up there might be even more signatures for us?

#15 ·
Mad-Boondocker said:
Dragon700 said:
Mad-Boondocker said:
It is either 2 stroke or no stroke
Hate to be the smart as* but I've heard of some 4-strokes lurking around in the far corners of the world....
yeah I know. I was just saying what I like to have for a motor in my sled, my bike, and my chainsaws. Still think that article was singling out 2 stroke sleds
Oh I know, I hate 4 strokes too.

#16 ·
"Powered by lightweight, high-power engines, today’s snowmobiles boast up to 225 horsepower (4 times a Harley) and can exceed 120 mph."

That is my favorite quote out of the article. 120 on the dream meter for my sled. 225hp has to be less then 1% of the snowmobiles out there. What Harley are they talking about? Why are they comparing Harley four strokes to two stokes? They are using sources from the early 90's to the 2000's lol.

#18 ·
BAMT700 said:
This is the first web page it came up with. It is an article that is full of BS, but humorous.

http://www.wildlandscpr.org/biblio-notes/infl-uence-snowmobile-emissions-air-quality-and-human-health
Look at the footnotes - every source is an environmental one. So much for objective reporting. It's like the people who go around saying how cars are causing global warming, but I've YET to meet anyone who gave up their car. And what about the cars I've been behind on the road - high mileage cars that burn more oil than the Iraqis did in the Persian Gulf War.
No mention of these. What about chain saws and outboards? Or wood stoves/fireplaces and bonfires, or being irate at the California arsonists who every year burn thousands of acres?

It'd be interesting to know if the writer owns one of those mechanical push lawn mowers.

(Probably doesn't)

93indy440 said:
Did some extra research on the subject, found that 2 stroke sleds were band because the Winter Wildlands Alliance conviced other groups to sign a petition.... Maybe if a petition was sent around to all of the snowmobilers to open it back up there might be even more signatures for us?
Weren't they banned due to noise concerns and fear of "running over plantlife"?
Don't recall "polution" being the primary reason for it.

#19 ·
and don't the "modern" 2 stroke synthetic oil's produce a more "smokeless" and somewhat "healthier" exhaust compared the those oils used in the past? and beside 2stroke smell on snowmobile suits smells great!!!

#20 ·
93indy440 said:
Weren't they banned due to noise concerns and fear of "running over plantlife"?
Don't recall "polution" being the primary reason for it.

[/quote]

I didn't say anything about polution, i said petition. It said the anti-snowmobile groups signed a petition to get them banned. I'll see if i can find the article i was reading it from again and post the link here.

#21 ·
BAMT700 said:
"Powered by lightweight, high-power engines, today’s snowmobiles boast up to 225 horsepower (4 times a Harley) and can exceed 120 mph."

That is my favorite quote out of the article. 120 on the dream meter for my sled. 225hp has to be less then 1% of the snowmobiles out there. What Harley are they talking about? Why are they comparing Harley four strokes to two stokes? They are using sources from the early 90's to the 2000's lol.
What sleds made 225hp STOCK that weren't modified for racing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILieHoAly0o

#22 ·
Air pollution from snowmobiles is well documented and can result in a number of health problems.

Yeah, it's called "WITHDRAWALS", and we go through it every summer!!!!

What a stupid article. A person can make statistics say anything you want, it's all in how you interpret it.

#23 ·
This article just sent me through the roof. I got into a huge discussion/argument with my prof and a few classmates during my 20th century global conflicts class at The U of M. people will believe whatever they hear as long as it actually sounds legitimate and there are so called "facts". A girl in my class tonight tried to harp on me for enjoying outdoor sports such as snowmobiling, four-wheeling etc. but yet she tried to argue that by riding my snowmobile i was doing more harm to the environment than her driving in from Orono every day for one class in her truck. now i'm not against trucks or anything but that is a pretty terrible argument. It just gets me so angry I want to shake some of these people sometimes to see if the dumb switch is on. this one is off topic but last week we had a discussion about freedoms in our country and the right to do what we want and as you all may know a few months ago there was an idea proposed to build a mosque near ground zero.....REALLY?!?! are you F&ck!n kidding me? why would you build a church or place of worship of the same religion as the people who hi-jacked the plane? and she continued to say that we can do whatever you want in america. True, BUT that is crossing the line; I mean, you wouldn't let me build a Nazi memorial in Auschwitz, Germany now would you?

#24 ·
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Smoking is hazardous to people's health and creates air particles as well as hydrocarbons and smoke and i bet its more than snowmobiles make.....are they gonna ban smoking too?
they have. in mn. you cant smoke in a building, they are trying to pass it so you cant smoke in your car if you have a child in there. in california they are trying to pass it so you cant smoke in your home if your home is an apartment building.

MN_SlEdnEck said:
This article just sent me through the roof. I got into a huge discussion/argument with my prof and a few classmates during my 20th century global conflicts class at The U of M. people will believe whatever they hear as long as it actually sounds legitimate and there are so called "facts". A girl in my class tonight tried to harp on me for enjoying outdoor sports such as snowmobiling, four-wheeling etc. but yet she tried to argue that by riding my snowmobile i was doing more harm to the environment than her driving in from Orono every day for one class in her truck. now i'm not against trucks or anything but that is a pretty terrible argument. It just gets me so angry I want to shake some of these people sometimes to see if the dumb switch is on. this one is off topic but last week we had a discussion about freedoms in our country and the right to do what we want and as you all may know a few months ago there was an idea proposed to build a mosque near ground zero.....REALLY?!?! are you F&ck!n kidding me? why would you build a church or place of worship of the same religion as the people who hi-jacked the plane? and she continued to say that we can do whatever you want in america. True, BUT that is crossing the line; I mean, you wouldn't let me build a Nazi memorial in Auschwitz, Germany now would you?
if you do a couple hours of research like on youtube you can get a lot of info to argue all there al gore points.
ask them to follow the money of global warming. basically cap and trade are to tax americans and give the money to other countrys, if pollution is so bad, why isnt she driving a more efficient car? if al gore was so worried about global warming why is his electric bill 1300$ a month, why doesnt he fly commercial instead of private?
how does huge taxes on our goods like heating oil, natural gas and gasoline help protect the enviroment? does the money get put into programs to help big manufacturing clean up there exhaust?no.
whos pushing the carbon laws, where if you company emits so many carbon emmissions you will be required to buy carbon credits.? al gore is part of the group pushing the law. but he is also part of the company selling the credits. global warming is all about people getting rich at the cost of otheres. climate change is something the earth does.

like i said do some research and you will be able to shut them up pretty good.

the fun way with them is to bring god up and then sit back and laugh. god made me and you and the earth. he designed it for us to consume, that is why fish dont feel, he made it that way!! watch them libs go crazy mad.

here is a good start. then watch his other videos becuase he has a couple hours of this video. take notes and you will have a ball. we had a kid living with us that they were teaching al gores movie in science class. i asked the teacher when they are going to show this video. they werent. go figure. so i watched this and made notes then sent the kid to war!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWa7VW-OME&feature=related

#26 ·
Most of these studies are probably done by people who own
a "manufactured" Christmas tree because thay believe its wrong to harvest a tree
every year just for the sake of celebrating a religous holiday.

..............NEWS FLASH.........
When they take the right to celebrate religous holidays away from us,
a real tree will decompose a lot faster than their "manufactured" tree

Just think how many baby chickens are aborted every year, just so kids
can go on an Easter Egg hunt, and the gasses that are emmitted
after eating said eggs!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.