Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,

I am beginning to plan a 9 day trip to the U.P. of Michigan. Last year we rode just over the border in Ironwood/Hurley. This year i would like to take the guys to an area much further north with possibly some good areas for backcountry riding. I am interested to see where you guys have been or would suggest going. We are planning the trip for the second week in Jan. We live in just outside Minneapolis Mn.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
From what I hear the Houghton-Hancock area and the whole Keweenaw penninsula a very nice area and has what you are looking for. We were going to go up there last year at that time ,but there was a lack of snow up there. We ended up muck more east in Munising,MI. which got pounded pretty good with snow last year. There is a web page that a weatherman in the Houghton area area has for snowmobiling. It is
www.johndee.com. . He also is involved in a company that does backcountry trips. Some info can also be found here.......GOOD LUCK!!

http://www.snowtracks.com/michigan/houghton.htm

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johndee's website was done by a guy i know. I have been looking through his links for hotels. I have also heard Houghton is the place to go. I think that's where i will end up unless i hear of something different.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My brother lives in L'Anse and knows some people who rent cabins in that area if you want the number I will get a hold of him.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You might want to consider crossing the border into Canada. Ontario has some of the best trails anywhere - at least that's the opinion of the riders from the US that I have spoken to. Not to mention your dollar goes further over here.

You can start in Sault Canada and ride to your hearts content. There are staging areas and many of the local motels cater to snowmobilers. The options are endless.

Just another option to consider[:D]

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
lake gogebic is the shit when it comes to michigan, in my opinion anyway, your right at the base of the keweenaw area, you can ride to the porcupine mountains or if your feeling frisky, all the way to copper harbor, copper has awesome scenery. can't forget to mention the 'ol hoop'n holler gives you a little night life and all the match racing on lake gogebic you would ever want, we stay at nine pines resort with huge cabins and swanky hot tubs, lot of fun!!!![:D]

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have buddy who just bought a cabin near lake gogebic. So maybe we will end up there. Thanks for the input.

So when i race someone on the lake do you think they will look under the hood...? I was kind of thinking about putting an indy 500 hood on my xlt. [:D]

my buddies are pretty sure people will hear the difference though. [:D]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

I usually read in the Grand Marais area- Trails to Newberry/Paradise/Munising/Seney/Curtis(usually lacks snowfall)...
There are many great places to stop for gas, rainbow lodge, pine stump, and pike lake, along with the main towns of course. I've put many miles in this area, and it's been great. Usually from Mid-december til early/mid march there is more than enough snow to go riding.

Or you can hit hurst/thunderbay in canada :)

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If you remember last year, Lake Gogebic area didn't have enough snow. If I was planning a 9-day trip I would want to make sure I was planning for someplace with enough snow,so as not to be scrambling for other options at the last minute. That would be the Lake Superior snow belt.

As far as Canada,I'm sure they have awesome trails-but I'd bet the UP's are just as good. Your dollar only goes farther in some ways. The exchange rate has dropped quite a bit from last year and the price of gas is twice as much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live here in Newberry, which is about 1 1/2 hrs north west of the Mackinac Bridge. If you're looking to do some riding, Newberry would be the place to be. We have an excellent trail system, and if you're looking to ride some powder just talk to me, I can hook you up with some awesome back trail riding :)

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for more good ideas guys.

thanks for the offer strokez, i may just take you up on that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey anytime...just talk to me on here...or on msn: [email protected] or AOL: strokez02

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've road all of over the state of MI. Upper, Lower
and some of the best riding is in the Houghton Hancock, Keweenaw(sp) area. The Porcupine Mtns. Bruce Crossings. It is some of the best. I put on over 300 miles in one day pure fresh groomed powder.

No snow last year was a fluke. Highly recommend this area. I'll be back there this year.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]As far as Canada,I'm sure they have awesome trails-but I'd bet the UP's are just as good. Your dollar only goes farther in some ways. The exchange rate has dropped quite a bit from last year and the price of gas is twice as much.
The UP and Ontario are so close the trails are probably quite similar. I have only ridden in the UP a couple of times and can't really give a fair assessment of the trails because there wasn't much snow. I did have a great time at poker run though.

I have had the opportunity to stop and speak to a lot of American riders in Canada and I have been surprised with how impressed they are with the trails, most that I've spoken to come back every year. I've also been surprised that I haven't heard complaints about the trail permit prices, our trail permits are $170 for a season or $100 for a 7-day permit. (Personally I complain about the permit prices and the trails.)

Gas will usually run you between 30-50 cents a gallon more (Sault ON compared to Sault MI). There are some places that you will pay much higher prices due to it being a remote location.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck
[br]
Originally posted by ACEXLT
"The exchange rate has dropped quite a bit from last year and the price of gas is twice as much."
"our trail permits are $170 for a season or $100 for a 7-day permit."
As far as the exchange rate goes, that fluctuates on a daily basis. Some days the Cdn. $ is closer to what it was before the Iraq war. (around $1.50 - $1.58 Cdn. for each $1.00 US you spend.) On some other days it goes as low as $1.38 Cdn. for each $1.00 US. It's not a whole lot of difference. Either way, you get more spending power with the US $ in Canada.

The 2003/2004 Ontario all season trail permit cost is $160 (not $170)untill Dec. 1st and $200 if purchased after Dec. 1st.

The other difference between riding in Mich. and riding in Ont. is that in Mich. the trails aren't connected across the entire state whereas in Ont. all 49,000 Kilometers of trails are connected across
the entire province. That means you can ride your sleds across the entire province provided there's snow cover. In southern Ontario, that means late Dec. to early to late March. To put the length of trails into perspective, Ont. has only 21,000 kilometers of highways.

Another thing you may want to consider that we usually do when planning a longer trip
is to book your motel reservations in several different geographical areas 2-4 months in advance. Tell them what you're doing and that you will end up going to the area with the most snow. Most hotels won't charge you if you cancel 1-2 weeks in advance. We've always planned our long range trips this way and never had a problem yet.

Wherever you decide to ride, I hope you have an awesome time and that the weather cooperates for you.

Jeff

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by trailblazer
The 2003/2004 Ontario all season trail permit cost is $160 (not $170)untill Dec. 1st and $200 if purchased after Dec. 1st.
The trail permit price was $170 for last season. I was referring to talking to people on the trail last season, and that is the price that they paid.

You must be with OFSC.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
lake gogebic did get a late start last year(late for them) but after that it was great the rest of the year, trails were rough at times only because every sled in the 5 state area was there due to the fact that there was no snow anywhere else. but i'd rather ride rough trails than not ride at all. they groomed every night but it dont take long for trails to get beat up. we went up there 5 times last year and had a ball[:)]

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well just an update... The trip is planned for Jan 11-18th at the Walleye Lodge on Lake Gogebic. Got a killer deal for the week. Got a 10 person kitchenette fireplace suite for about 70bucks per person. If anyone is planning to be up there during those dates let me know, maybe we can hook up for a ride or a beer. There will be 8-10 in our group all guys on this trip, the wives must stay home.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i wanted to go to walleye lodge last yr. but i couldnt get in they were booked. but on the internet it looks like an awesome place. maybe i will try that this yr to. i am planning on going about the same time as you.last yr it was real cold in early mid jan but we hade a blast.i have never been to canada. but i can tell u last yr my first trip to the up of michigan it would be awfull hard to beat it as far as trails are. they do an outstading job keeping em up with all the traffic they get. there trails are like minnesota highways. snowmobiling in the up is like a dream[:D] when u are from Mn anways.lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts