Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of taking the lady friend to the UP for New years. Like the 29th through the 1st. Unfortunately I've never been there before, let along done any riding. Anyone going up there, maybe we could meet up at some point? Give me some suggestions as to where to go?

Thanks guys --

Bryan

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well with the way the weather is going you better go NORTH, way NORTH like the Keweenaw--Houghton, Hancock, Calumet, or the Ontanogon areas. I'd try to get the reservations now as things will fill up when we get snow. All of the trails up there are very nice once we get snow--the HOUGHTON/HANCOCK area might be better over the holiday just because there are more places to go with the lady friend after riding.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So unless there is a major turn of events, Rhinelander, Crystal Falls, Iron Mountain are all a flop? I'd like to keep the drive under 7 hours if possible. Man this blows. First time I'm willing to drive that far, just to have a crappy time to do it. I guess I'll play it by ear.

Bryan

·
Registered
892 Posts
We go up there every New Years. The last couple of years we were staying at the American Inn in Silver City, which is 7 miles west of Ontanogon. It is a really nice place. This year we are staying at The Gogebic Lodge. My advice is to find a place as far west as possible and always ride NW.

They are supposed to get about a foot of snow this week.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I will be up in the vilas cty area(st.germain,eagle river,etc). You could ride with my wife,bro and myself. We have stickers for Mi so we can go there also. I know the vilas cty area well, no so much with Mi but will be willing to lead and not get lost.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good to me. I'll see if I can get some reservations somewhere up there, near where you're going to be staying. What do I need to get to legally ride there? Just a trail permit? I already have my IL registraion.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Just a trail pass. Unless you are going to ride more than once. Then you can get a wi registration. More of the money goes to the trails then.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Wi reg is $30 every 2 years and trail permit is $20 every year.
You have to get the Wi reg at dnr stations or on-line. Trail permit you can get at any gas station up there. Same goes for the Mi sticker if interested in going. Let me know what you decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.