Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just getting back from the UP this weekend... I have to say that 1/2 the trails were great and the other 1/2 haven't seen a groomer since.... who knows when.
We were told some groomers where broke down...

When leaving Mass City on trail 3, the mogues where 3 feet apart and 3-4+ feet deep for miles. What a joke!! Talk about body and sled abuse.

I know groomers can't hit every trail all the time, but this completely unacceptable.

If snow permits, I will sure try to ride somewhere else.... I give the trail grooming a grade of C.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
exactly, when we were up there the trails were the same way. Some of the best trails then some of the worst....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
yeah same here good and bad i know i have emailed several hotels in michigan same goes for sled rental places and have gotten no response back and its been 2 weeks wanted to take my dad there he doesnt have a sled any more but i guess they dont need my bussines when i was there the people didnt really seem that friendly either

·
Registered
328 Posts
Finally, someone who shares my pain :D or :( depending on how you look at it. We had 7 or 8 of the best snow crossers and hill climbers in BC at our club cabin this past weekend to set up their suspension because they have rated us with the bumpiest trails in BC. Having 3-4' moguls is normal for us, as we can only afford to run our groomer about 3 times a month. (it has serious mechanical issues) so when we get 2-300 hill climbing type sleds a month up there, the trails can get really really bad. But, what can ya do? Hopefully the U.P. area is able to get their groomers back out so that you can enjoy your trails.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was planning ongoin to the up this weekend. Guess I should check first.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I rode houghton area this weekend, about 75% was good. Its not all just the groomer fault, you groom a trial and 50 sled go by in the next couple hours what do you expect?
This weekend was good,maybe because they finally got snow further south, keeping away the terrorists.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I understand that groomes cannot be every where all the time. I was just stating how my weekend ride was... Just that... my opinion. But it is alittle difficult to justify taking my machine on trails that haven't seen a groomer in 3+ days. Surely resturants, bars and hotels should be able to provide riders with daily trail condition information. Most of the places where clueless on what the trail status was (even if they were open), but they sure made sure I spent cash at there establishment.... I think it is a shame that anyone will drop $500 in the U.P. economy in a weekend and can't find anyone, besides the riders, to what is happening on the trails...... I am on the email list for getting daily updates from the UP.. but emails doen't help too much when on a sled....Maybe I should by a PDA.... Now maybe a asked the wrong 20 people over the weekend..... Again... I am commenting on my weekend ride....Furthermore any place I stop and they that can provided me with accurate trail conditions will be a place i return to spend $...

Happy riding

·
Registered
63 Posts
Right on Lars.. You hit the nail on the head.. I have a friend from work who wanted to try snowmobiling and renting was an awful experience.. They were down right rude and we had cash and credit cards. It seems no one up there knows the first damn thing about customer service.. Needless to say my friend was turned off after getting the hell beat out him on the trails and we kept hearing rumors of a groomer ghost that is occasionlly seen. I would be willing to pay $40 for a trail permit if they would groom..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Being from up here I have the opposite feeling then you. I don't like out of town snowmobilers. They think we owe them something, that town wouldn't be here if it wasn't for snowmobiling. The money helps the area but doesn't make or break it.
Part of the reason I don't like snowmobilers is the rich a$$holes. Its rich mans sport. Maybe the clerk was rude to you, but you get so many snobby jerks up here.
Sure the trails suck at times. But when you get some many people what are yu going to do? If you had a groomer for every trail going every hour you'd be bitching it was holding you up. The groomer goes 10 mph, it can't be everywhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I understand your anger berzerker. But peak time for most hotels (Newberry - Best Western for example) is during snowmobile season. I think your comment would scare them to death. They informed us this was their peak time of the year.. Same thing goes for the owners of a few restaurants I have had the pleasure of visiting with. I disagree with you and certainly they would be bust were it not for snowmobilers or at the very least hurting.. It is a shame that so many people do not respect the local people as much as they should. It upsets me when I see track marks across peoples lawns who have posted signs. I share your view on this. Be certain that I promote the sport responsibly and respect all individuals..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by Berserker
[br]Being from up here I have the opposite feeling then you. I don't like out of town snowmobilers. They think we owe them something, that town wouldn't be here if it wasn't for snowmobiling. The money helps the area but doesn't make or break it.
Part of the reason I don't like snowmobilers is the rich a$$holes. Its rich mans sport. Maybe the clerk was rude to you, but you get so many snobby jerks up here.
Sure the trails suck at times. But when you get some many people what are yu going to do? If you had a groomer for every trail going every hour you'd be bitching it was holding you up. The groomer goes 10 mph, it can't be everywhere.
Amen to that man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts