Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these UFO (Ultimate Flow Optimizer) things in the carbs before? I am interested in them and was wondering if they work? I see that there is some tuning required, but just looks like some simple adjustments.
Here is the web page they are on:
http://www.thunderproducts.com/u_f_o.htm

From what I have read they work but I am looking for a second opion!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run them in my 96' Ultra 800 big bore it took some time to set them up once tuned they work great.I would recomend using EGT's to set them up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you have about a month to jerk with installing and setting the sled up, then maybe. Without a EGT gauge you are playing russian-roulet with these things. Forget it and buy a set of used flat slide carbs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ggorman, what brand of big bore do you have in your ultra? i have a 96 ultra, and i am thinking aobut an 800 bigbore. any suggestions? how much horse power does you sled have now?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ultra rider, Heres the specs for a big bore kit that I have put on several sleds
L.A. Sleeve FL1213BB Sleeves
Stock Polaris Storm Pistons
Slp Big Bore Heads or Machine yours
bore carbs to 39.8mm
Carb starting specs
Needles 6FL14 3rd groove
Nozzles 247-Q2
Cut away 2.5
Pilots 40
Mains mag 420 center and pto 410
air screws 1.5 turns out
Clutching
Primary spring EPI silver
Weights polaris 10-58
Secondary spring EPI Black
Helix 46/34
Gearing 21/35 or 22/35
This will make aprox 160HP With stock XCR/STORM/SPX factory triple pipes and aprox 172 Hp with PSI big bore pipes
Depending on your abilityand availability to a reasonable priced machine shop This can be done for around $1000.00

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ultra rider, I'm at 1300'. Your pipes should work although not as well as the others, as the factory triple pipes were 800 pipes to start with,and the psi's are 800 big bore pipes. Your outlets are smaller on the slp's. I personally have never tried it running 680 pipes on an 800 so I can't give you a valid answer. All the parts you need can be found in the aftermarket or on the internet. Sleeves should be about $100 to 125 a pop, pistons around $75 a piece gaskets 80 to 100 Heads recut around 40 a pop or $300 for a new set If you use the specs I gave you earlier you will have a very trailable sled with loads of power and it runs on 92 oct pump gas. You can buy a kit from some of the big performance shops but its going to run you around 2000.oo to 2500.00 do it your self for around half.If you don't have a good machine shop in your area you can send your cyls to L.A.Sleeve and the will install them for you. not sure what they charge

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have them on my 91 Formula. I had no problem installing them (without an egt) It took me about a day to do in total. That included testing 3 different jets... Once they are in and set up you'll feel the difference - crisper throttle responce.In the 2 years I've realized better fuel economy, and the only issue I've had is that the one retaining screw came out and the ufo dropped down (just needed some threat loc)

·
Registered
117 Posts
big bore king. 1300 with pipes? or not including? how reliable is he kit? should i buy a new crank before doing the big bore? or just have is trued and welded? i am pretty good at ajusting my sled. and engine with this big bore be hard to work on and ajust? thanks alot. um what state are you in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ultra rider, Thats not including pipes. This setup is very reliable and very easy to tune and clutch. The specs given earlier were what I was running after all my testing. EGT's were 1270 degrees +or- 20 and the sled ran very well. With the PSI pipes it dynoed at 172.4 Hp At the crank.I pulled out my reciepts and I had $290 in sleeves $169 in pistons and rings $72 in gaskets $120 in head machining $300 in installing sleeves $90 in carb boring $150 in clutch parts and $45 in carb parts. My crank was already trued and welded, had this done the spring before blew a belt and knocked the crank out of phase This is not something I'm selling just giving you the info so you can do it or have it done locally. I'm in Mi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts