Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the SLP triple pipes are design for 1996-97 680 ultra. I have a Ultra 1998 that I need to improve with those pipes. So I wroth a letter to the tech at SLP and they said that:

"The 98 model had different port configuration, head design and ignition. The SLP pipes designed for the 96-97 models are not compatible with the 98 engine. They would be dependable but with little or no power improvement. Jim"

I checked and the cylinder, the dome head, the crank, the crankcase, and the magneto are the same, only the flywheel and CDI computer change on this 1998 model. Do you think it's possible to have no power improvement only with a different computer? does somebody know the difference between those sled with stock setting?

Steve

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
im sure youd see some improvement. as far as the huge hp gains the 96-97 made with the pipes is based on they came with a single pipe. the 98 has triple pipes from the factory. and as far as port configuration on those motors goes. i know if youre doing any sort of porting, these are the cylinders you want to start with. based on they were more aggressive from the get go(designed to run with triple pipes) and they had more room to remove material. so yes the 98 ultra motor is definately a higher output motor to begin with. and yes the cdi is designed deferently too. best bet is to sell the pipes you have, and by the right set. youre gonna have to modify them anyhow to fit your chassis.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
^^^^ I dont think the 98 had triples factory, it was still wedge style, and the XCR 700 (essentially an spx) had triples from factory.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are right bigwedgies, the ultra 98 has one single pipe and the old cab. it's not a xrc700 or SPX.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, pance have the right answer.
my fault, I wrote to fast without checking

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
PM madcow, he'll be able to tell you the best approach!! [:D]

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
does the 98 have high shock towers or something like that?? The motors are the same. And saying you'll see little to no gain is a joke.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the 98 has the same belly pan than 1997, but not the same bulkhead.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i just figured this is was slp was talking about. dont know why theyd say that about a single piped sled. guess thats why theyre the proffesionals making all the money

1 - 9 of 9 Posts