Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, question about the crank on a 97 ultra 680. I bought a case and crank online and it was listed as a 97. I split the cases to inspect the crank and replace the outer seals and I noticed two tan seals on either side of the waterpump drive gear. Is this a 96 crank?????? If I understand right from reading a couple older posts, the 97 drive gear should be open to the crankcase not sealed.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't get what you mean by sealed or open to crank case. The drive gear on the water pump for 96-98 sticks out of the pump so that it can line up with gear on the crank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It sounds like a '96 with the seperate oil resevoir. The two internal seals keep the oil out of the crankcase. If you have the water pump that came with that case, look to see if there is a drain and fill plugs and the pump will have a sight glass in the side. Like you said, I believe '96 was the only year to have this set up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talking about the two seals on each side of the water pump gear on the crank. The water pump wasn't sold with the crankcase so I can't check the water pump

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
As tripledog already said, that is a 1996 crank.
It's too bad the ad description was misleading.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
One picture is worth a 1000 words!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol thats the truth. thanks for the help guys, sounds like the guy's going to refund my money and take it back. The hunt is on again I guess.. Im so sick of buying junk when it comes to parts....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
this has been my point on several topics. just rebuild what you have and then you know what you have. good luck getting a refund, isnt always very easy, plus have to prove he deliberately misrepresented it. maybe it was removed from a 97, the guy thought it was a 97, but someone previously put in a 96.
anyhow
rebuild, its the only way of knowing what youre getting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i guess I get your point, its just the idea of getting another crank for 150 vs rebuilding for 300 plus is kindof appealing, hell I could buy another Ultra for 800 bucks. O well Ive been looking at crank rebuilders in MN for a couple of days, has anyone dealt with JWsnoweld in Cambridge? Seems like they have decent prices.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Marth said:
Yeah i guess I get your point, its just the idea of getting another crank for 150 vs rebuilding for 300 plus is kindof appealing, hell I could buy another Ultra for 800 bucks. O well Ive been looking at crank rebuilders in MN for a couple of days, has anyone dealt with JWsnoweld in Cambridge? Seems like they have decent prices.
He's good, also Bill Bunne is down your way in Blaine, Dan at Indy Specialties in Welch.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Highly recommend Josh Wentworth (JWsnoweld). Great guy. I sell my bad crankshaft cores to him so he can fix them up. He his very precise in his line of work.

In response to bigwedgies, the only way Marsh shouldn't get a refund is if he bought of ebay. As a private used part seller, I always stand by my sales and if the part turns out to be the wrong one or has a defect I didn't know about that affects functionality, I always give full cash refund.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
in response to po parts mn^^^
i agree, he SHOULD get a refund. i assumed i guess he bought off ebay. and alot of times sellers on there are kinda buyer beware. you bid you bought. etc etc.
plus hes gonna be out shipping cost if he had it shipped.
i sell quite a bit online to and would refund full price but shippings another story.
im for him i hope he does get his money back
just from experiences i had and have only heard of
buying online can be a real pain, not to mention a costly learning experience.
but back to my theory of just get it rebuilt, say it was a 97 crank you got but when you got it apart you notice a bearing or 2 were bad, but still runnable, the seller wouldnt have misrepresented it, it was removed from a running motor, but aint gonna run much longer, now you have 2 cranks that need rebuilt. this happened to a friend of mine he bought an xlt motor and i told him to rebuild his! the one he bought was a running motor he heard it run, but needed crank seals. when it came apart the crank needed as much work as his. now he was way in the hole and still needed to get a crank.
i only offer my thoughts an opinions, hopefully to help others out from my experiences.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not a big fan of eBay, or should I say some of the people selling on eBay. Had a bad experience with buying some pipes from the east coast, the pipes were fine, it was getting him to ship them was the problem. After hunting him down on facebook and calling his local police department, a detective paid him a visit and then he sent the pipes. Needless to say I only by locally and go purchase the parts personally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts