Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't jump all over me for this, but I'm looking to tear down my '96 Ultra after this winter and put the motor in a gokart. I would like some info on how you guys think the stock coolant system would work during those hot summer days. Do you think I could get away with adding a small radiator, no fan? Or is that necessary at all? My plans are to find an 800 XCR for next winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like a prime idea [8D]. I have been throwing this idea around with an older fan motor. You better have a long wheel base, that thing is gonna fly. As far as the radiator goes, it depends on the size probably. If you have a smaller one you might have to move air through it with a fan. If you have it mounted in the open air where it gets air flow you probably won't need a fan if the radiator is big enough. A motorcycle radiator should be plenty big, and I wouldn't even bother with putting the heat exchangers on it, they won't do you much good. The heat exchangers are made to come in contact with snow to cool, they won't allow air to flow through them and carry the heat away.

O yea, and I won't jumpa all over you, but I wouldn't get rid of the Ultra, it makes me wanna cry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the plan. I figured a motorcycle rad might be big enough. It's going into a carter bros type 2 seater gokart that currently has a 150cc in it, but no torque whatsoever. I'll keep you posted. It should be awesome. Will have to wait til spring, I'm still working on the 6 speed tranny in my electra glide.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I need to get some pictures of my friends senior year project for one of his classes. It was called the Snot Rocket. Lime green with a rotax f/c 700. Or 670? Not sure. Either way that thing was sick. ATV tires on the back, drum brakes on the front, even made a ram-air attached to the roll cage that fed into the dual carbs. It tore belts faster than anything. He had it at 110 on radar, and ran out of room. Have fun,

Oh, I think you'll need a fan. Unless like he said you get a big radiator, or are constantly doing over 25-30ish to push enough air through it to keep it cool.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'd hate to see ya wreck a good Ultra, but I agree with sinjin that thing will be insane...You could use a radiator and cool it with an electric car fan, just an idea..

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you use a motorcycle radiator you can use the fan that is on it, many of them have fans. It may fit together as a nice cleaner package that way, and should move ample air.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. The gokart has disc brakes all the way around and a roll cage with lights. It'll pull about 35 right now with the 150cc. I'll definately keep y'all updated. This is almost identical to the cart.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GK-D01-150cc-Sand-Rail-Dune-Buggy-Go-Kart-Cart_W0QQitemZ150066312207QQihZ005QQcategoryZ64656QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
A friend of mine built a go cart with an older Polaris 650 free air triple in it a number of years ago. He could roast the tires right off the cart. I don't ever remember him seeing how fast it could go but I just remember him doing burnouts as far as he wanted to. Riley

·
Registered
844 Posts
Jump all over you? I think its a great idea, LOL
Just wish you lived a little closer.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50173&SearchTerms=Sandango,project

Definately use a radiator with a fan, and install a temp.
gauge in place of the sensor for your idiot light.
Probably going to want to "de-tune" your clutches also, as
what works well on a sled is a little too radical for a kart.
Fitting the exhaust is probably going to be one of the hardest parts of your project!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
try and get a rad off of a newer big bore sportbike like one form a 1300 hyabusa or osmething or possibly a rad from a fourwheeler i know they are all running elctric fans it seems to keep them cool quite well or maybe a rad form a small old car depends on your space constarints. also make sure if your running a fan you have enough power to power it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts