Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all Just window shoping at the moment, anyone out there come up with own big bore "kit" i remember reading that people used to take 488 fugi sleeves and put them in 650's to make 732's was wonderin if anyone come up with something like that for a ultra? really like the idea of a 900+ triple, have the blwon up 97 ultra engine sittin there i know it would be a good base to start with

·
Registered
118 Posts
that makes two of us...hard to find stuff for these

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The right ultra block, with 800 XCR jugs/pistons becomes an 800.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have written down somewere the part numbers for sleeves from la sleeves i think, supposed to be the same sleeves that htg uses to make the 800 big bore, then i think u just use storm pistons, but i want bigger then that lol, ive heard of 861 storms, had a chance to get a 861 storm top end at haydays this year but wasnt sure if i could put that top end on my ultra case, would think if you could do it to the storm you could do it to the ultra, any one know whats it take to get the 861?
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
The right ultra block, with 800 XCR jugs/pistons becomes an 800.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
861 storm is i believe a stock 800 storm bored .060 over. theres is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to do that unless youre removing damage from inside the cylinder. the minimal gains will NOT be worth not having room to take the cylinders over when you do damage something. and storm cylinders do not mount up to the ultra cases.
if you really want to put your money into something worth while just get the stock 800xcr cylinders. a stock set will excede the hassle of doing the big bore 900 etc etc. and theres a ton of parts for 800 xcrs to be had.
i have an ultra bored out to an 827 and though it ran absolutely awesome, i was alwasy tinkering with something not to mention the weeks spent trying to dial it in cuz with miniamal snow opportunities i just would rather pull the cord and go!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The biggest storm overbore that I've heard of is 980, it uses Crank-shop custom jugs. (I'm not sure if it's stroked)

I'm eyeballing this engine for my next project.. If it's still around when I can afford it, I'll snag it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Think my problem is building the sled is almost as fun as riden it lol... almost lol i love the first ride when things start coming together

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Agreed, the first rip trying things out is usually the most satisfying..

Boring a storm .060 over gets you 827.4cc. A storm 861 is either bored and stroked, or just bored 3mm (.118") over.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did run into a guy at haydays that put a storm top end on a ultra case, sd he had to make some aluminum spacers to raise the jugs up, sd he traced a ultra base gasket cut it out, then traced a storm gasket and cut it out used a file to smooth things out, said had it running, no snow so didnt ride it

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
im not sure how thatd work, not saying it couldnt. raising the cylinders alters port timing and would require a ton of testing to dial in. one of the big bores on the storms ran seadoo pistons from the 583?????cc seadoo.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
All depends on the height of the jug and length of the rods.. Might require the spacer to get them to the right height.

I saw one of those storms with seadoo pistons in a drag sled, it had the hidden port in the stock jug.. Now that was a slick idea!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do mean by hidden port? do you think you could resleave and run the 583 in a ultra?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
vogey said:
what do mean by hidden port?
It's a racers secret... Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhh..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
All depends on the height of the jug and length of the rods.. Might require the spacer to get them to the right height.

I saw one of those storms with seadoo pistons in a drag sled, it had the hidden port in the stock jug.. Now that was a slick idea!!!

right with the proper R and D anything can be done, not to mention money.
i actually have one of those storm motors in peices that is one of those projects im sure ill never do.
as for you VOGEY, im not sure what youre trying to achieve. if you want to power reliability and just plain awesome motor, weve all suggested the xcr topend, basically a bolt on and go situation for 700??? bucks. if you want to say youve got a 900 or whatever, but not have the performance of the xcr or reliability or saved the money absolutely you can actually buy 1100 cc top ends for that sled.
i think HTG did a 900 sleeve on the ultra cylinders but the valved exhaust is just so much better performance. youre wasting your money trying to go bigger.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to do the xcr top end in the ultra but then i need new pipes, if im gonna get new pipes made might as well be for a better chassis, like a edge, but not plannin to go that far for awhile yet also like i said am just window shoping have a ultra motor thats gonna need 1 mabey 2 new cyl, and most likly the crank straightend (seized at bout 2500-3000rpm) and if i gotta rebuild crank n replate 2 cyl or find 2 jugs and 3 pistons, goin bigger dosn't cost much more. if gonna go with big bore why stop at 800? know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
when it comes to going big i know what you mean, but when it comes to going big it costs money. if youre worried about having to buy new pipes for the xcr top end, well youre gonna have to buy new pipes for any big bore. stock xcr pipes are a dime a dozen and work exceptionally well. it all depends what kind of money you really wanna spend. and what your really wanna achieve. if youre racing id say yes go bigger, if you trail ride and ditch bang my personal opinion is bigger isnt worth it. a properly set up 600 or 680 in the ultras case has plenty of performance, just put the money youd be wasting into a top end into clutching, suspension, etc and i feel youd be alot happier.
my opnion, and yes my experience. i put a ton of money into going bigger and yes its alot of fun, but if i had half the money i feel i wasted being young and dumb, id be paying cash for a new sled.
going bigger PROPERLY costs a ton more then rebuilding your ultra.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
from what ive read/heard the psi modblasters work pretty good for 800/900 big bores, so i take it going the seadoo piston route is a lot more work then the 800 big bore? but who knows might come across a nice edge or pro x chassis before dig into motor then i will be lookin for the xcr 800 top end lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
have a htg 900 storm big bore motor uses the 583 skidoo pistons,actually i think its a 884 has a lot of port work,transfer ports were hogged out so much they had to be welded up on the outside of cylinders,also some case porting and crank has been welded.runs very well and gives my buddys 1108 hooper fits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts