Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Ultra SP. Slp pipes, V-Force reeds. Trail clutch kit from erlandson, white primary, yellow? secondary. I'm not sure what weights are in, they are heeled over though. The engagement is at 4800 rpm's. I have a pretty bad bog on take off, i can hold the r's at 45-4600 and punch it and it hesitates, for a good second, then launches. After that it takes off. The belt is worn and I need a new one, but it is still up above the sheaves. And it has always done this. I'm jetted at 390,370 and 370. about 1200ft, temps usually 0 and above (F). Thanks for any help,

Runner

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
is the pilot circut adjusted to slps specs. how is the low-mid range transition. is the needle in how slp recomends.

it could be a lean spot in the low throttle circut. with the v-force reeds you might need to do some fine tunning from slps recomended carb settings.

if it all works good once you are moving and holds the right rpms at top end and shifts up and down good there cant be to much wrong with the clutchs. if the wieghts were to heavy at the heal, you would punch it, and instead of spinning and taking off, it would roll out with a bog and then at 10-20- mph hit hard.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi runner this is a tricky one. I had a similar set up on my 96 with no bog.What slides do you have in there. I think mine were 2.5. with that high of engagement there definitly should be no bog.Do you have 25s for pilots. Does it bog when you punch it on the stand. Have you checked your front clutch side motor mount. I have broke them before and that allows the center to center distance to change during a launch. Try to answer these questions and Iwill think some more on it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This may sound odd but I had this problem on my 97 XCR 600se after I went from 144 carbide studs to chisel toothes. I had so much traction, it was bogging coming out of the hole. I also have v-force reeds, hot seat heads and have it jetted right on. I am engaging at 5000 to 5100 and was still bogging. I went up one hole on my secondary spring and it helped greatly. I also ended up gearing down a bit and it comes out strong now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely not too much traction. I swapped dyno port pipes for these slp's. Went with the mechanics set up, I'm not sure of slp's spec's. Hot Rod, my memory isn't good either, I'll go out after work tonight and take a look at the carb's and get back with you. I know the plate that keeps the motor from twisting isn't broke, I've seen that also. It doesn't roll out and then take off, it sits there for a second, then launches. It goes hard after the initial bog. I have to take the carbs off again anyway. I put in new needle and seats, went for 2 miles ran as good as always, parked it, went to start yesterday, flooded right out. Never had this problem before. something must not be right in there, aaaarrrgggghhhh! Thanks alot for your help guy's,

Runner

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hot Rod, what did you mean "had" similar set up? Did you sell the Ultra? If you did, then you could let the secret's out on that sled :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No, the sleds still here.But its off the steroids.I am trying to sell it with or with out the goodies. My psi modblasters are way too loud for the rules up here in Ontario. If I sell the XCR first I will keep the Ultra and get a set of Quiet SLPs or similar.By the way runner, how do you do against the big twins.I could beat them easily. Or what sled is yours comparible to in acceleration. Trying to compare to mine.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
we've got a toy '96 xcr sp with an ultra engine and it does a similar bog. Clutch engages....bogs for a second...then the power hits and you'd better be hanging on tight!! I've gone through the carbs....cleaned em...tinkered with the settings but with no luck. It almost seems 2 me that one of the cylinders doesn't kick in until just after engagement. I dunno....but it makes driving it interesting [:)]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xtreme, mines the same way! Hot rod, I didn't do much riding/racing last year. I could easily beat the 700's. I've beat a few ZRT 800's. Never had any trouble with the old storm's. PSI's are way loud! I took a quick look at the sled last night, I have 2.0 slides. I know the ones I had with the dyno ports were way heavier. I believe the pilot jet said 520 on it, pretty tough to read. Thanks again.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have you followed the SLP procedures for tuning. I know the Ultra can be tempermental but if you get it tuned in right it is a beast. Here is the tuning instructions for your sled. http://www.slp.cc/instsheet/09-6801.pdf

According to the reccomendation your mains are too high. Also it says to make sure the primary is shimmed proper or there will be bog.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zack, thanks for the info. I printed all the instructions last night. I may try a couple of things this year. I will probably set it up completely like that next summer. We have no snow here, if we get any I'll probably just ride it. It's not real bad, just like to have it perfect. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts