Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...here is what seems to be a stupid question but in all honesty I cannot find the trick. I need to pull my 96 Ultra's motor to change a motor mount but for the life of me I cannot get the bottom portion of the airbox off so I can remove the carbs and thus get to the rear mounting bolts. What is the trick??? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Rotate the top of the airbox towards the motor, push the bottom away from the carbs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my first thought...did not work...that is where I got stumped. It is real tight against those carbs as weel as tight against the oil tank behind it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
while doing that pull up also there is little nipples on the bottom of the airbox that rest in a mount on the tunnel that make it difficult and it helps if everything is warm to

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that did not work either.
Would you all agree that the difficulty in this task (on this model sled) is not unusual? My XLT Special is easy...but it is a different set up all together.

·
Registered
477 Posts
loosen up your carb boots and just pull the whole works upthe carbs will pop out with it. And yes it is very difficult

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I never really had a problem ever getting the thing out. It was getting it in that could be tricky.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give the carb boots trick a try. I do dred the re-install!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
206 Posts
yeah, i considered removing the carbs to drain them for storage last spring...after many curse words i gave up on that deal...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by iamultraman
[br]yeah, i considered removing the carbs to drain them for storage last spring...after many curse words i gave up on that deal...
Put drain hoses on that are long enough to go under the engine . That way the plugs are somewhere under the exhaust manifold where you have a fighting chance of getting at them

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had this problem a week ago. Take the bolts out of the rear of the seat in the tunnel. Then pull the seat,gas,and oil tank back a little. There are some tits on the bottom of the airbox. If you grind them off you can remove it without removing the seat anymore. Made it real easy for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it finally. Took all the carb boots loose and pulled all three carbs out of the boots with the box. It will get a few modifications before it goes back on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts