Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used Ultra and the thing is just rippin fast. The warden happened to be filling up with gas at the same time I was pulling in to the station. Says no decible meter but I know your exhaust is way too loud. Suggested that my "suitcase" is blown out after examination of my engine. What should I do to satisfy the law, not lose my speed, and not spend a fortune? I will get it fixed for sure because I don't want to be a bad image for the sled guys.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
A suitcase? Is it a stock exhaust? And when your under the gas pumps all sleds sound loud and echo cuz the big rain protector.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
Call me an idiot but what is a "suitcase"?
Got me too? I think he was talking about the chamber that's supposed to be packed with noise baffles or some kind of packing material. The "s" part of the pipe wraps around the engine out of the manifold and into a rectangular chamber and at the bottom of that is the tailpipe. hang on for a few I'll post a pic if I can.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bluevoyageur said:
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
Call me an idiot but what is a "suitcase"?
Got me too? I think he was talking about the chamber that's supposed to be packed with noise baffles or some kind of packing material. The "s" part of the pipe wraps around the engine out of the manifold and into a rectangular chamber and at the bottom of that is the tailpipe. hang on for a few I'll post a pic if I can.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It appears that your "suitcase" has been cut open and gutted. That is not the stock weld aroud your silencer.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Probably stock, but gutted. Looks like it was cut apart and welded back, kinda looks like a hack-job to me so i'm sure no one would believe it was stock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
bluevoyageur said:
I just bought a used Ultra and the thing is just rippin fast. The warden happened to be filling up with gas at the same time I was pulling in to the station. Says no decible meter but I know your exhaust is way too loud. Suggested that my "suitcase" is blown out after examination of my engine. What should I do to satisfy the law, not lose my speed, and not spend a fortune? I will get it fixed for sure because I don't want to be a bad image for the sled guys.
Well I didn't know what a suitcase referred to either but I guess if it has been cut open and gutted you need to find another stock one? I dont think that will be easy but maybe someone has some ultra parts. Ill look on CL here. and thanks for being a good rider and wanting to fix the loudness of your sled so trails dont get closed[thumb]

·
Registered
355 Posts
They must have gutted it, then painted it right afterwords. You can probably pick up a used stock silencer on ebay for cheap if your concerned about getting stopped again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-POLARIS-INDY-ULTRA-680-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c9da2c65eQQitemZ260342728286QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here you go. $50

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MuscleD said:
What year is the ultra?
Seller says a '97 but couldn't produce any paperwork. The machine did register o.k. at the DNR. I called ahead with serial no. first.

98rmk700 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-POLARIS-INDY-ULTRA-680-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c9da2c65eQQitemZ260342728286QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here you go. $50
Thank you very much !![thumb] I will buy it fri. when my check hits the bank.
It's on my watch list til then.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
your on concrete. do some research on how wiscons dnr does the sound test. I would have laughed in his face that the sled sounds loud.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i for one have to applaud the man for trying to do right. for one i imagine the stock exhaust with a gutted "suitcase" sounds like crap, and is gaining him absolutely nothing.
youre basically running a pipe with a can that only makes it echo more. i dont know Wisc. DNR laws but if you think it is or is close to being too loud, make it right.
yes im sure theres plenty of ultras out there that are louder, but its alot easier for 50 bucks to make the headache go away.

·
Registered
453 Posts
madcow said:
do some research on how wiscons dnr does the sound test.
DNR says 88 decibels as measured in accordance with SAE Standards J2567. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the meter would be 3 feet off the ground, 6 feet away from the exhaust outlet.

bluevoyageur said:
I will get it fixed for sure because I don't want to be a bad image for the sled guys.
Good for you, buddy we all appreciate it![beer]

·
Registered
61 Posts
and wisconsin hands out those tickets like there scratch offs that always win
and they'll chase you down to make sure you have a winner

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hey, if you don't care what it looks like, here's one for $39 shipped[thumb] http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Muffler-Can-Polaris-680-Ultra-SP-XCR-Indy-Storm-96-95-/120659458725?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c17dd3aa5#ht_4072wt_1165

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a stock can from a 96 ultra. I haven't looked at it in a while but i think it's in good shape. I'd have to look to make sure. I'd let it go for $25 plus shipping. I'm just up by Green bay, i don't know if you get up this way at all or not, but you could pick it up if you do. Otherwise i can ship it to you if you wanted to pay the shipping. PM me if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts