Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 ultra engine and i was wondering what the stock gearing is? Also I would like to get more bottom end. How many teeth could I change without getting a new chain? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hey check out this link. You can usually you can take one tooth off top and add one tooth to bottom and keep the same chain.

http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
SP models were 21/35, SKS/RMK were 20/35, I went with 18/35 with stock chain, had to make my tensioner bolt longer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info fellows

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
if you had to extend the tensioner bolt, youre asking for major problems. youre wraping the chsin way to far around the gears, your pretty much hurting yourself. one tooth on top is the same as i belive 2 or 3 on bottom. evr grenade a chaincase with 150 hp or more. its not pretty. do it right, buy the chain you need. itll save alot of headaches

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
If you look at the gearing chart you will see that the same pitch of chain is used from 18/35-21/35. The bolt just needs to be a tad longer on the 18. Anything less then you need a different pitch chain. I might still have the chart around here if you would like me to take a picture. I've never had a single chaincase problem, and only have blown one belt in 18k miles with Ultras.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts