Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to make a long story short, I have a 96 ultra that USE to have LRM pipes on, well since it would beat my dads 700 xc sp, he made me bring her back to stock. Well the guy who my dad has do all of the sled work for IMO isnt the most consistant mechanic in the world, hes done both some great and some absolutly horrible work with sleds. I told my dad that i really wouldn't take it to heart to much as long as anyone else but they one guy did it, cause I personally have seen his horrible work. But since dad never listens to me, he brought it to him anyway. Well, we got the sled back the day before Xmas eve, and when i unloaded it, i noticed that the sled idled alot higher than it used to, it used to idle a little lower 1000, now it was idling around 1900, i just figured that the stock exaust had something to do with it, but when i threw it in forward after backing it up, it stuck in reverse, so i had to kill the engine and re fire it up, which it didnt seem to have a problem doing. After that, other than the exaust sounding stock... i didnt have any problems.

Well the sled had been sitting in our shop with the gas off since that day, and since im still in a sence of depression do to lack of snow, i just decided to see if she'd fire up just for kicks and giggles. Well i was supprised actually, in the 40 degree garage, i didnt need any choke or any priming of any sort, i just pulled the recoil a LITTLE and she fired up like a champ... for about 2 seconds, than i noticed the rpm's started to rise pritty quickly, than next thing i new the clutches ingaged, in which than i grabbed the break for dear life, and it just seemed like the rpm's were still trying to climb so i hit the kill, Swore a lot and was pritty pissed off at my dad for making me do the switch for a pritty stupid reason. - theres alot, and i meen alot more to this, and i dont feel like typing all of it.

Ill just ad that,
A. We're running polaris belt on it now, which was not on the sled before we sent it to get butchered.

B. If you pinch the throttle to the bar, the cable stops it before it hits the bar.

C. The dude my dad had butcher the sled, also retuned the carbs.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im thinking that the throttle cable isnt adjusted correctly, but when throttle is in idle position, there isnt any tention on the cable.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Kinda sounds like you need to adjust the carb slides. If the throttle stops before its to the bar, something is wrong.
Nice to see you go back to stock exhaust though, loud pipes close trails.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just, and i meen just, checked that, it was perfect, i found that it wasnt the throttle cable holding the lever back, it was a pice of the thumb warmer - now i feel like an idiot. Im thinking now that it could be that the belt on it is the wrong size

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so check this out, i did a little research, and come to find that, the stock belt for an ultra is a #3211066, and right now, the sled has a #3211070. Does anyone know what the difference between the 2 are?

·
Registered
477 Posts
when the stock exhaust was put back on was the temp sensor put back in the silencer and hooked up? This will mess with the idle

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes it was, but ill check it anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts