Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and i are wanting to build an ultra light powder machine. We're thinking of using the semi old 500lq skidoo around a 98, but we don't know which manufacturer makes teh lightes frames, tunnels, suspension, ect. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Check with Fabcraft, they make a lot of light wieght parts including rolling chassis, Don't think they have a Skidoo chassis though. www.fabcraft.com That is where I would go to by tunnel suspension parts etc. My $.02

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually hoping for to stick with the big 4 manufacturers, that way its easier to find parts, it also means that if i can find sleds that have been totalled, i may be able to get some parts off of those.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dude, i would love to do a cool project like that with my dad, what a great way to spend some time together. Hope it works out for you.

As far as frames go, my knowledge is pretty limited to just ski-doo. There are alot of things you can cut off and change to make it lighter though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on doing that, but it would also be nice to start off with a fairly light frame. I got the tunnel taken care of last night, one of my cousins friends builds custom tunnels and he's gonna have one built for me for my bday :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i have figured out what i'm going to do. I'm going to start with a 570 exciter (or at least i think thats the right size motor) then see if i can find a newer rear suspension and a super long track. I would love to use a scandic track, but i think that would be too wide for the tunnel. I would also use an ultra light hood and remove the seat. Anything else you guys can think of that i could take off without impairing reliability? All suggestions welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts