Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These needle are from a set of used carbs off a '96 ultra. They appear to be made from tooling steel and have an extra e clip position. There are no numbers identifing them leading me to believe they are custom or a brand other than Mikuni. I don't no the history of the the donor sled, but the pilot bypass holes were drilled out with number 30 pilots and the needle jets are 247- p-4's. My thoughts are that the sled was at one time piped and had slp or psi custom needles. Ok now they question, if possible, how do you measure needles and would this help me figure out what they are or will it always be a mystery? Oh and the tips of the needles are much more narrow than stock dh8 needles.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Just so you know the p-4 247s are stock,for the 96 SP, and since the needle jets and jet needles are a matched set ( more times than not) then more than likely you have stock needles.
edit: and alot of times unless you have a real strong magnifying glass the numbers can be hard to see.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
slp needles did have an extra groove, but the extra is not technically an e-clip groove it that makes sense. the lowest groove, or closest to the tip, is not as deep of a groove and isnt for positioning, not sure if they did this to identify them. also the top, away from the tip, is kinda pointed? where mikuni are more of a rounded.
psi needles only had 4 grooves.
hope this helps. also if you had a good photo my help identify.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I realize the needle jets are stock. That's what throwing me off. You never know what people cobble togther. He sold them with the cables with the caps with the throttle vavles and needles still attachted. So they possibly could be off a different set. They definitely look different than the oems. I'll try to take a good picture tonight. Thanks again, there's a lot of good knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tripledog said:
Thanks guys, I realize the needle jets are stock. That's what throwing me off. You never know what people cobble togther. He sold them with the cables with the caps with the throttle vavles and needles still attachted. So they possibly could be off a different set. They definitely look different than the oems. I'll try to take a good picture tonight. Thanks again, there's a lot of good knowledge on this forum.
I saw A set of carbs on ebay a few weeks ago for a Ultra and the guy was selling a set of SLP pipes on a different auction. Its a good bet they had the SLP needles in them. Maybe you could ask them if the sled had pipes on it because them SLP needles are like gold to some people.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wallsaw said:
Tripledog said:
I saw A set of carbs on ebay a few weeks ago for a Ultra and the guy was selling a set of SLP pipes on a different auction. Its a good bet they had the SLP needles in them. Maybe you could ask them if the sled had pipes on it because them SLP needles are like gold to some people.
I know they are. I actually posted a while back looking for some. Then last night I was organizing my spare parts and noticed them. I would be funny if they were in my garage the whole time, but my luck never has been too good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some pics of the needles;

Full Picture#1
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ra6vMDwPrqunponUOsqmwg?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHahr_0tr23fw&feat=directlink

Full Picture#2
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-GEhbwjeA7hIF3EDVKy69w?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHahr_0tr23fw&feat=directlink

Zoom#1
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cEuovOtag_1xddk798itxQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHahr_0tr23fw&feat=directlink

Zoom#2
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FQ9ko-a7mhquWKavJsmWBw?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHahr_0tr23fw&feat=directlink

·
Registered
18 Posts
can anybody point out the bad from the good. can anbody post the differences between stock and slp needs that that anybody looking can easy pick the good from the bad

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
those are 98% sure slps. i dont know how to scan and post the slp directions, but im saying those are slps. not sure what you paid for the carbs, but you probally got a steal. wierd thing is some days those needles are worth twice their weight in gold other days you cant give them away.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you look at the design of SLP pipes and the stock SPX pipes they are real close, diferent but close, and as for SLP needles they are WAY over rated. More of a sales pitch that you HAVE to have there needles. I call B.S, unless some one can prove other wise.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i will agree, more of a sales pitch. had and seen many ultras go plenty of miles without the needles. found a set and ran them and really couldnt seen any difference in motor performance etc. if you got a set cheap, run them, if you dont have a set, theres plenty of set ups to run without them.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
bigwedgies said:
i will agree, more of a sales pitch. had and seen many ultras go plenty of miles without the needles. found a set and ran them and really couldnt seen any difference in motor performance etc. if you got a set cheap, run them, if you dont have a set, [highlight=yellow]theres plenty of set ups to run without them.[/highlight=yellow]
X2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I agree with what you all have said. I just had stumbled across them with tearing down some spare carbs I had in the garage. I'll try them next season just for fun and I probably won't even know the difference. I guess I got caught up in all the hype about them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yeah, the fact you stumbled across them basically for free, yes id say give them a shot and see how things work,absolutely. you have them why the heack not. the point everyone is making is dont go out and pay what some people were for these things. i got my set for a fair deal too and had no problem running them, but saw no difference then the set that was in it.
or just sell them next year and hopefully get the gold price for them. and run a regular set up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts