Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 ultra with psi pipes, square almond primary spring with a blue silver in the secondary 2nd hole. This machine taps out off the start at approx 8800m rpm and rips, then across the field comes back to around 83-8400 sometimes lower. I am looking for it to hold 8600. It has 10 56 weights and a stock helix. This problem was a lot more intense before putting in the almond primary, which helped a lot, and the blue silver secondary helps a lot too but it has to be wound up pretty tight to get it to hit and hold its revs for any length of time, but why wont the machine hold 8600 consistently? Any help is greatly appreciated, I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now and its running better than ever, but I need these revs to hold.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Scrap that square wire almond for a round wire and go with a new one, I did'nt even know you could still purchase a square wire almond anymore. Or you could move the helix spring to the 3rd hole and also try the 4th too, approx 200 RPM gain per hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That square one is the only one that has worked near properly but no it is not new, so I guess I could try a new one. Square almond was the spring to run in a friend of mines and his gave him 0 problems for many miles. Do you recommend a round almond? Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The square wire ones sacked real easy and did not last a whole season of riding for most people that had them. Yes go with a round wire and post results.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have you tried and Erlandson Red ?

On my old 96 Ultra I had the Red primary, 10-66 weights, 46/36 helix, with I think the same blue spring you have and a 1.80 gear ratio (21/39) and that think rocked, Id spin it 8700. It was a 800 big bore though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I agree with scrapping the square wire spring.

for 10 56 weights i would use a EPI Black spring not red
both springs are 145lb at 2.5"
but the black is 280lb at 1.25" instead of 300lb on the red.

if you are really looking for performance i would also get rid of the stock helix and get at least a double grind if not a triple grind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts