Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought this 96 Ski-Doo mx z 440 l/c sled from a guy last weekend for dirt cheap because it was having issues and he didnt wanna deal with it. found out the pick up tube in the tank had fallen off. Not a big deal, fixed it. The sled starts now and runs but bogs and dies shortly after. For the record the carbs have been completely gone through and cleaned....just eliminate that from the list of possibilities as to why its bogging. Now to my question. keep in mind when i purchased this sled half the thing was in pieces. Anyways i got it all put back together. At first i couldnt , for the life of me, get the fuel lines to fill with fuel. Figured that out, but in the process i pulled off the vaccuum line going from the crank case to the fuel pump to see if there was any vaccuum and it was blowing not sucking. Sled still starts and runs though. I could b mistakin but isnt it suppose to blow instead of suck??? Next question, do the oil injection lines on the oil pump need to be bleed or will the oil just naturally begin to fill and flow from the pressure? Im hoping this all makes since and that one of you master minds can give me some insight to what might be happening here. I'll try anything to get this sled running right!!!!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would premix 50:1 just until your sure that you know that you are getting oil to the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call! I just fired it up and it ran like a champ for about 45 seconds. Im thinking my main problem is the fact that about an 1/8 of the gas in the tank is older then the pope so its probably a good idea i drain all the gas, clean the tank throughly, put new in and see what happens then. Still need some sort of info on what to do about the fact that theres currently no oil in the small lines attached to the oil pump. Do i bleed them some how or just let'em buck?

·
Registered
67 Posts
there should be a bleeder screw on the oil pump, I would bleed the system, also mix the 1st tank of gas 50:1 as stated before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, ok, now were gettin somewhere boys!!! I will indeed bleed the lines and im pretty positive i know where that screw is located. One last questiion.....do i simply loosen the screw and excpect fluid to spew out or must i turn the motor over to create pressure enabling the lines to fill?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
just loosen the screw its on the top of the pump once you loosen it gravity will bleed it out just wait untill all the air bubbles are gone

·
Registered
207 Posts
After you bleed the line to the pump, take a metal clothes hanger and make a hook so you can reach down between the carbs and pull the oil pump arm wide open and a little throttle and it should qickly fill he injecton lines. Still run the mix gas though at least a tank to be sure and keep an eye on the oil level to make sure it is using oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts