Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have been following my topic on my YZ 125 you will know that I seized the engine from low coolant. Well I finally got it unseized and to turn over. I have not yet tried to start it. What should I do before I start it and while it is started? It is kind of hard to turn over, but not extremely. Is this a sign of something being wrong with it?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i'd dump some extra oil down the cylinder when you get ready to fire it up for the first time. Run lots of extra oil through the gas, you may foul out a few plugs but the oil will help the lubrication. If i were you i would probobly take the plug out and keep dumpin some oil in the cylinder and turning it over a bunch of times each day for a while. Without going into the internal parts of the engine there is no way to really tell if anything is wrong or not. But let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I wouldnt run it personally because it will most likely siezed again sometime in the futer wether its 5 miles down the trail or 100 miles. I would take the top end off to check it out and if you really dont feel like fixing it a new gasket isnt that much. When i un-siezed my 400 last year it was hard to pull over but it ran and then we took it apart and the cylinders and pistons were shot to sh!t.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I would only get a seized motor running again in an emergency to get home. Tear it down and fix would be my preference too.

G

·
0 Posts
I am wondering if it was a piston that stuck or somthing else. We had a Yamaha 480 Phazer that would lock up the pistons on a hot day. It locked up on us on two times on different days. We let it cool, started it and drove it home. Each time it tested good compression and we continued to ride it for another year without problems. On the other hand we had another sled the the PTO crank bearing locked up. Had to tow it home, tear it down and rebuild. You may get lucky and not have hurt anything but pulling the jug off is pretty easy and most likely worth the piece of mind knowing what damage was done.

D

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'd take the top end off and have a look. If she got hot the piston would have expanded. not uncommon to pinch a ring with some alumimum from the piston covering or blocking.
Remeber your 125 vmotorcorss motor lives in the big rpm range.Whole lot cheaper to fix it now or live with Japanense soup.
ex 81 yx 125, broke skirt, rod fractures, puntured lower case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts