Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Unbelievable story

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Junior 
#1 ·
This almost makes me ashamed to be a snowmobiler... I hope they catch whoever did this and throw them in jail! This gives the rest of us a bad name...

Dogsledder Struck By Snowmobile
Officials Say Man Lucky To Be Alive

"SUCCESS, N.H. -- Authorities said that a 51-year old man is lucky to be alive after he was hit from behind by a snowmobile on a Success trail while dogsledding Saturday. Authorities are searching for the snowmobiler who raced off after the accident, leaving Stephen Hessert, of Cumberland, Maine, badly wounded in sub-zero temperatures without help. A group of snowmobilers found Hessert lying unconscious in the snow and used Hessert's own sled dog team to evacuate him from the woods. Hessert was later airlifted to Maine Medical Center, where he is being treated for multiple injuries, including at least one broken leg. Conservation officer Sergeant Douglas Gralenski said he had never seen anything like it in his 17-year career and said authorities were investigating several leads in the case."

#3 ·
I saw a man and a dogsled team when I was out in the arrowhead, he was just getting his dogs in the ropes or whatever. I thought it was the coolest thing. Went by prolly 5mph, checkin it all out. I saw a show yesterday on dogsledding too, looks like alot of fun. A different kind of thrill, but a thrill none-the-less.

-Dean

#5 ·
There are alot of trails up here that are shared by snowmobilers and dog sledders alike. Just goes to show you what kind of people we have in this world :( disgust.. Just a little piece of advice to any of you guys/gals who encounter a team of dogs, either take another route if possible - or pull of the side of the trail and shutoff your machine. In my experience the dogs get a little testy when a loud sled comes cruizing by, and do weird things. Do these people this small favor and maybe this will prove to people that both can live in harmony...

#6 ·
That sucks. It's people like that who give us all a bad name.

#11 ·
Yes this is awful, The gentleman lives 10 mins from me in the same town and resides in the house my father grew up in. He is at Maine Medical center and underwent a couple of surgeries today for his broken legs, i'm unsure any further info. i'll try and keep you guys updated. Ride safe

#12 ·
They said on the local news last night here in NH that the man was in "fair" condition, which I guess is good considering what could have happened... I certainly wish him a speedy recovery.

They also said that there is a $10k reward for information leading to an arrest.

-Mike

#13 ·
if anyone does find out who it is, and has any mechanical knowledge at all, make SURE that this person never drives a vehicle again. it's amazing what a trimmed serpentine belt in a truck can do, stuff like that, this guy has proved to me anyways, that he does not deserve the PRIVILEDGE of useing ANY motorized vehicle, especially not a snowmobile.

we need to get an address for this poor gentleman and send him a card, or atleast something. I think I speak for us all when I say I feel terrible for what someone who could be associated with me did, and the least we can do is send the poor man a card, and the snowmobilers who recovered him a thankyou

#17 ·
Kegoos, I went to infospace.com to get the phone # for that medical center, turns out that there are southern, eastern, northern, western, central. You get the drift. I see obsiously that it is in maine. But What one is it. I was going to call and get his room number so we could all get together and flood that room with cards or letters!!! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.