Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
They aren't if you don't get caught.

It's laws like this that annoy me, because they restrict the enthusiast. If they are blue or red don't use them on a public way, like crossing a road. Otherwise you should be fine. but thats just my opinion. In maine underglow is legal not on public ways.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
New York is pretty strict on stuff so i would assume they are but i don't know for sure. Does anyone know about Michigan?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
They are legal in Michigan, at least I'm 99% sure. I'm sure led doc would know. Might need to shoot him a pm on some info. The other things that LEDs provide is visibility, now that car can see that sled much better or other riders can see them coming or stopped.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thanks, i'm thinking about getting some but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Just hook em up to a switch and dont run them when you're somewhere there could be Po-Po

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, they are illegal. Personally, I think those lights are annoying as hell and I think it's a stupid law to be honest. There are so many damn laws on sleds in New York, your best bet is to just ride it stock.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Empire087 said:
They are legal in Michigan, at least I'm 99% sure. I'm sure led doc would know. Might need to shoot him a pm on some info. The other things that LEDs provide is visibility, now that car can see that sled much better or other riders can see them coming or stopped.
LOL!!! Like a car will see a several miliwatt LED when the driver can't see the 60 watt headlight...

Try again.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
If they werent bright, im sure you might not see them. but i have seen some pretty bright underglows and you can see them stopped pretty far away, its just that much more you can see. I should have worded that a little differently, not saying it will make a ginormous difference, but it will make some.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Underglow = (R)

Spend your money on something more useful.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Polaris-Man said:
Underglow = (R)

Spend your money on something more useful.
I have to agree with Polaris-man! I am fairly certain that even if they are legal there still a "man-law" against them. That's money and energy that can be better spent on keeping safe or avoiding mechanical issues. Just my $.02

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Listen...

Telling someone that wants the LED's on their sled not to put them on, is like telling a wannabe rapper not to get a grill.. If they want it let them do it, just laugh at them when you see it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If its done right it can look good, especially on some sleds. There are a lot of Harleys out there with leds that are pretty cool, there is also a guy that has a sport-bike that i know with leds that looks good. If someone takes an interest in modifying his/her machine I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i have a question. do you think hooking up red leds to the tail light would work on my fusion? would that work because the tail light is always on, it just gets brighter when the break goes on?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
bigdogdaddy69 said:
anyone know if the under glow neons are illegal for snowmobiles in ny state?
Only while in motion.
Ok when stationary.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Fuse600 said:
i have a question. do you think hooking up red leds to the tail light would work on my fusion? would that work because the tail light is always on, it just gets brighter when the break goes on?
Sometimes you can find direct fit replacement bulbs that are LED, has about 10 or so LED's on it and 5 stay on all the time then when you brake the other 5 come on making it brighter. Seems the best option to me.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
im talking about getting a whole set up and taping into my tail lights

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Fuse600 said:
im talking about getting a whole set up and taping into my tail lights
Run them normally, should work fine, i've done it before tapping into the headlights, the led's dim and brighten with the rpm so i would assume it would dim and brighten with the taillight, the led's won't last near as long but they last forever anyways so that won't matter much. All you can do is try it though. What you could also try is seeing if there is 2 wires one for constant on and another to boost the power to get brighter, if you want the led's to come on just when the brakes are on find the second and just tap into it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts