Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1998 XC 700 and i was thinking of installing a 2002 XC 800 liberty twin. i was just wondering if it is a drop in installation? thank you.

·
Registered
718 Posts
you probly would have to change your straps and your airbox, even your carbs. doesn't that 98 700 have keihen carbs? the 800 has mikuni.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Your 700 with a pipe should have close to the same power the 800 has, and the 700 is more reliable. so why do the swap?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Basically it is a drop in replacement.

You need the 800's CDI, clutching components, rack carbs(good upgrade for a 700 too), 800 pipe(s)

·
Registered
538 Posts
powersledder said:
Basically it is a drop in replacement.

You need the 800's CDI, clutching components, rack carbs(good upgrade for a 700 too), 800 pipe(s)
What he said and an extra crank for those damn 800 libertys.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
^^Oh those damn old 800 liberties.....right, great input to the thread.[Disappointed]

If you're worried about reliability of the 800 crank, then while you have the engine out tear it down and send the crank and cases off to SLP for the big bearing upgrade(around $100). Otherwise just run it as is, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
the 700 xc and 800 liberty have almost the same engine performance. Why bother?

·
Registered
538 Posts
powersledder said:
^^Oh those damn old 800 liberties.....right, great input to the thread.[Disappointed]

If you're worried about reliability of the 800 crank, then while you have the engine out tear it down and send the crank and cases off to SLP for the big bearing upgrade(around $100). Otherwise just run it as is, you should be fine.
Yep snapped the crank at 2000 miles sent it out to SLP full rebuild snap it again before I rolled over 2290.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
barney said:
powersledder said:

Yep snapped the crank at 2000 miles sent it out to SLP full rebuild snap it again before I rolled over 2290.
After you lost the crank the first time did you get the big bearing? Line bore your cases? Do something preventative at all? Probably had other problems in the drivetrain/chassis as well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
powersledder said:
barney said:
powersledder said:

After you lost the crank the first time did you get the big bearing? Line bore your cases? Do something preventative at all? Probably had other problems in the drivetrain/chassis as well.
Yes line bored and wide bearing. Im just saying NOBODY I know with a 800 liberty has had good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I had an 02 Edge X 800 and I put over 1500 miles on it (over 3000 when I sold it) without putting a penny into the motor other than gas and oil. Maintainance is key. I've read about several people than have put 6000+ miles on an 800 without blowing the crank. Most problems are in mtn sleds that are run WOT with higher hp output than stock. I wouldn't hesitate to throw an 800 in there.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ive got just over 7000 miles on mine, never touched the crank. 3 other buddies of my have 02/03 800's and no crank problems. I have heard some have problems, no one I personally know does, guess its a hit and miss. I love mine!

·
Registered
67 Posts
bigrok said:
I had an 02 Edge X 800 and I put over 1500 miles on it (over 3000 when I sold it) without putting a penny into the motor other than gas and oil. Maintainance is key. I've read about several people than have put 6000+ miles on an 800 without blowing the crank. Most problems are in mtn sleds that are run WOT with higher hp output than stock. I wouldn't hesitate to throw an 800 in there.
Me neither. My brother has 2 800s that have super reliable. STOP BASHIN THEM!! Properly maintained they can be great motors

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
My uncles 02 800 rmk broke the crank at around 700 miles on it, sled was in mint condition. dealer put a new engine in it and went to 1800 miles without a problem, sold it this winter.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I suppose I should also throw this out there, as per SLP's specs a good running twin pipes 800VES is capable of 150-160HP whereas a good running twin piped 700 Non-VES is capable of about 135HP.

So if you can swap out engine fairly cheaply and get a good set of pipes you're lookin at about a 20HP increase, or 40HP over a stock 700Non-ves.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i had a 2000 rmk 800 and snapped the crank witch took out a cyl as well it was costly rebuild.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Back to the original topic................

Might have an issue getting the 800 pipe(s) in there since the 800 twin never went in the wedge chassis. But it will be worth the effort.

·
Registered
486 Posts
we got 2 800ves one has 8000 miles and other has bout 2000 dont know because its my proxr however we have never had a problem. ultrarmk i believe your motor being a 2000 was a non ves, which means it didnt have one of the "problems" the 800 had. anyway if you can afford an 800 do it if not leave it and enjoy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
^^agreed. you'd probly would have to fab a new pipe in there too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts