Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking for some ideas on upgrades for an 02 XC edge 800. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money though so what would be the best "bang for the buck" in gaining more HP?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Pipe, tempaflo....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't know about gaining horsepower but a sure way to get overall power to the ground would be an EPI Pro Series Clutch kit. They make a very noticeable gain for acceleration and should give you more top-end speed. They will run $200 for your sled. Heres the website: www.erlandsonperformance.com

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have an 02 as well. I ride at about 1,000ft above sea level. The best thing I did was drop my main jets to 480's. I also put in the EPI trail kit, but I do want to try the pro series as well.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Id stick with a clutch kit. The gain you get from a pipe isnt really much of a bang for the buck and Im not a fan of Tempaflows.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So would you guys reccomend the trail kit or the pro series? And I know that you have to mess around with the clutch and stuff once a sled is piped, do you have to do any of the if it just has a can on it? About what would it cost to have somebody instal the clutch kit? I know these sound like dumb questions but I'm not very mechanically inclined[:)] Not much of a "do-it-yourselfer"

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by polarisrider700
[br]So would you guys reccomend the trail kit or the pro series? And I know that you have to mess around with the clutch and stuff once a sled is piped, do you have to do any of the if it just has a can on it? About what would it cost to have somebody instal the clutch kit? I know these sound like dumb questions but I'm not very mechanically inclined[:)] Not much of a "do-it-yourselfer"
The trail kit is more of a closer to stock setup and doesn't have such aggressive acceleration and probably engagement as the Pro-Series clutch kit. If you don't mind hard acceleration and track spinning than get the Pro-Series. Thats another thing, YOU WILL WANT STUDS!! With just a can you will not need to do any thing to your sled besides remove the old can, thats why most people buy cans instead of going with pipes I think. As for installation of the clutch kit it shouldnt be too much money but if you got the money for it then go for it and check it out. If you even have an idea of what you're doing than it should be a breeze to do. Lots of people are scared to do there own work because they're afraid of screwing up but I think thats how you learn to work on your own stuff. Thats how I learned. I learned enough about what I was doing and then took it apart so I had an idea of what I was doing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have 144 picks in it already so the studs are taken care of, maybe I will look into the pro series then, sounds like it would really make it rip. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it, maybe I will give it a go and try to do the clutch myself, worse comes to worse i screw it up and then bring it in to get it done[:D]

·
Registered
700 Posts
You will need a clutch puller to do the primary clutch along with either a few guys or a clutch press which makes life owe so easy. For the secondary you will need a set of snapring pliers and again someone to hold that rascle down while you put it back together. O use a clutch press. Make shure when you do reassemble the secondary that you wind it up. Many people just push the helix down in and lock the ring in place. You need to wind the helix to the next set of buttons or rollers if you have the team clutch, so it is under tension. Its hard to explain without seeing what im talking about. Try to have someone that has done it before around and life will be a lot easier for you. Good Luck

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice guys, I know a few guys who have a slight idea of what to do so maybe I will just spend the money and have a pro do it. I know it will probably be a ridiculous labor bill but then I know that I wouldn't have F***** it up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts