Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opertunity to upgrade to 8700 rpm slp pipes with stingers. I already have the 8200 pipes. My sled is clutched and jetted for the pipes. Will I have to change anything else for these new pipes

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How much louder are the glasspack(stinger) version of the 8700 pipes versus the the set with the can?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i would plan on changine jeting and clutching. not saying youre 100%gonna have too. im sure itll run as is. but for optimum performance and relaibilty id plan on it. why do you wanna run the higher rpm do you do alot of trail riding or lake, radar runs?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My pipes are shot and these are the right price. I'm already set up for the low rpm pipes and it looks like slp recomends the same setup for the high rpm pipes. Why would I need to change anything?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
your clutch should be set up to run for the 8200 rpm pipes, now youll need the clutch to turn 8700 rpm. if you were set up right your clutching wouldnt have let you run out to 8700 rpm before. yes jetting may be same, but as with any mod, you should read your engine. not just stick it on and go! like i said previously. im not saying youll absolutely need to to run these pipes. but for optimum performance i would plan on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]your clutch should be set up to run for the 8200 rpm pipes, now youll need the clutch to turn 8700 rpm. if you were set up right your clutching wouldnt have let you run out to 8700 rpm before. yes jetting may be same, but as with any mod, you should read your engine. not just stick it on and go! like i said previously. im not saying youll absolutely need to to run these pipes. but for optimum performance i would plan on it.
^i agree 100% might just need a spring and some different weights, and giver hell!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are the pipes I have now.

POLARIS 1996 97 ULTRA 680 SP SKS & RMK P.N. 09-680

Elevation: 0-3,000 ft.
Primary Spring - Blue, Polaris part # 7041080
Primary Weight - 10 A, Polaris part # 1321589, 55 gram
Secondary Spring - Blue, Polaris part # 7041296, or SLP part # 40-42 Blue Stripe
#2 Preload (# 3 preload for heavy snow conditions)
Helix - Progressive, 42-34, SLP part # 40-42/34

Running RPM - 8100

Now these are the pipes I'm going to put on.

POLARIS 1996-97 ULTRA 680 SP SKS & RMK P.N. 09-6802

Elevation: 0-3,000 ft.
Primary Spring - Blue, Polaris part # 7041080
Primary Weight - 10 A, Polaris part # 1321589, 55 gram
Secondary Spring - Blue, Polaris part # 7041296, or SLP part # 40-42 Blue Stripe
#2 Preload (# 3 preload for heavy snow conditions)
Helix - Progressive, 42-34, SLP part # 40-42/34

Running RPM - 8700-8800

To me it looks like the same clutching.

Now I understand the issues of higher reving pipes and jeting so I will be watching that. SLP recomendations were way to rich.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
most manufaturers will keep it to the rich side. and they wont let the motor spin like it needs to. they want to error to the rich side as do most owners. but FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMACE, you will need to make changes. yes it will run as set up. it will run about anyway you set it up. theres a quote in another thread DO AND DONTS
it says something along the lines of dont do alot of motor mods UNLESS you know how to jet. yes you get performance by adding pipes. but unless done correctly your risking a burn down, or not getting the performace you could.
you ask us a question and then you fight our opinions the whole way
WHY ASK A QUESTION THEN?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by snake61047
[br] Will I have to change anything else for these new pipes
I'm not fighting anything. AS for jetting I know the do's and Don'ts. I'm showing what slp suggests and want to know if I should change anything or not. You say change the clutching and jetting. To what?! IT's the same for either pipe which to me doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Want to sell your low rpm set? If so I,m interested... I'll even pick up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
all the SLP Ultra pipes instruction (09-680, 09-6801, 09-6802) are the same except for the graphics/pictures at the end.
and on page 5, it clearly indicate that the running RPM are the same too 8700-8800 for all the type list above, even the 09-680 (I have the old instruction myself).

but, it also clearly indicate on the same page, in important note #3, due to rider weight and conditions the sled is used in, heavier or lighter clutch weight and/or spring may have to be used to achieve proper running RPM.

if your old pipes run at 8100-8200, your new pipes will run at the same RPM, it's the same spec.

so maybe your gearing ratio are incorect, your ignition has to be 12 at 8000rpm, or your clutch need to be rebuilt, or something else but forget the pipes, they are the same (only dyno port ant HTG does low RPM pipes).

you can have the instruction sheet in pdf on the slp site www.startinglineproducts.com on the technical information, polaris triple pipes.

Steve

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright. I weigh 150lbs and ride aggressively. What should I change my weights to to achieve the necessary 8700. If all the pipes run at the same rpm then why do they make different hp?

·
Registered
45 Posts
sorry I have the old instruction for 09-6801. and I recheck on the SLP site and the 09-680 run at 8200 rpm max.
but they have the same setting???

dont know what to say, try it and maybe it will work ok, and if they dont, just change the clutch weight and spring.

Steve

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finnally!!!! Thats what has been driving me nuts!!!! One question though. I'm not sure if the timing is set or not. How would I go about finding out. I was never good at timing 4-strokes and I know stroker motors are way easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts