Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Currently I have a 2002 Polaris edge I am looking to upgrade this season. I have a budge of $2800-$3000. What would be a good upgrade from a Polaris edge?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
what don't you like about your edge? with a budget of 2800-3000 it might be difficult to upgrade significantly. that being said I'm not sure how sleds are priced in the states

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking for rider up sled or a pro x. I love my edge alot has changed with sleds since i bought it in 02

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
A Pro X is in the Edge Chassis, but it is an upgrade if you ride hard. You could get an early Rev Chassis Ski Doo for that price. Probably want to ride one first. I tried a Rev and it didn't really fit my riding style.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If you're looking to get by at a low cost and have a sled that feels very different than before, look into putting a newer seat onto your sled. I did that to my Gen II and it was a world of a difference. Check out this HCS thread on how to do it with the stock tank:
Fusion Seat on a Edge Chassis, 136" M10 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

I am doing this modification to the edge I bought this summer because I really don't like the sofa-style seating that is stock. All I have left to scoop up to begin is a donor edge seat base. I will be using the seat base with the Fusion seat I have though for a more OEM appearance, like what snowmonster did in post #61.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you want to stick with Polaris and upgrade to a newer chassis, you could get into a 2005-'06 Fusion 600 (avoid the 900) for that kind of money in my area. A 2007 or newer IQ 600 would be an even better choice, but may be tough to find in good condition with lower miles in that price range, though it is possible. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
500ss has the 600 rotax carb. reliable and simple motors. Depending on the year the suspensions may vary in the rev model. More than likely an upgrade unless you don't like the ride like Rubi said

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
A Pro X is in the Edge Chassis, but it is an upgrade if you ride hard. You could get an early Rev Chassis Ski Doo for that price. Probably want to ride one first. I tried a Rev and it didn't really fit my riding style.
Bulkhead, tunnel chain case and both front and rear suspension are very different then the edge chassis... The engines don't even mount to the bulkhead the same way.. Not sure how someone could say they share the same chassis.

Either way, I've had a 02 Xcsp 700 and many prox's. My favorit so far is my proxr. My biggest complaint with the edge is the narrow running boards, the wide ones on the prox make a world of a difference to me.

As for revs, some love them some hate them. I had a 2007 xrs 600 and really disliked it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy is selling his fully converted iqr 440. Changed all the gearing for trail riding.. I've heard mixed reviews about riding them on the trails.. I ride a lot of rough trails and tight woods. Would the iqr be a good option based on my riding conditions.. I do about 70% trail and 30% ditch banging.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My buddy is selling his fully converted iqr 440. Changed all the gearing for trail riding.. I've heard mixed reviews about riding them on the trails.. I ride a lot of rough trails and tight woods. Would the iqr be a good option based on my riding conditions.. I do about 70% trail and 30% ditch banging.
if you are trail riding 70% of the time you likely won't enjoy the iqr. it's a very rigid machine built specifically for racing. that being said, some guys do enjoy trail riding them, so i suggest you take it out for a rip and go from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found some 2007-2009 iq for around 3k but they have around 4500-5000mi. Is that to high for a sled that year? or should i just look for a pro x2?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I found some 2007-2009 iq for around 3k but they have around 4500-5000mi. Is that to high for a sled that year? or should i just look for a pro x2?
if the sled has been taken care of 4500-5000mi isn't too bad, but if has been beat to shit and neglected id stay away. you can look for a pro x but they are getting hard to find in good shape. most of the ones you see for sale have been ridden hard and cobbled together with engine swaps and monster stickers

1,792 Posts
what don't you like about your edge? with a budget of 2800-3000 it might be difficult to upgrade significantly. that being said I'm not sure how sleds are priced in the states
Doesn't seem to be a lot of sleds offered for sale that I've seen. Trailers also. Some people are trying to get close to 2x what sleds are worth down here (not sure if it is related directly to the claimed sled-shortage that Snowtech is reporting or just the usual occasional pot-smoking, coke-snorting sled owners we see every year.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sled prices this season seem to be more outrageous than last. Ive found a nice 2007 sno pro 440. I never had a arctic cat before. How are the sno pro platforms?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am still on the search for a new sled. I have extended my budget to $3800. I have a chance to buy a brand new 06 fusion 700 for $3999. Also how are the iq 700s? my buddy had a iq 800 nothing but problems.
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts