Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.. i am looking to upgrade my stock suspension to extra 12.. how easy is it and do i have to make all new mounting holes... please let me know how easy it is.. thanks..

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
what kind of riding do you do? a extra 10 is alot better for most aplications than a X-12, there slower and are not a agresive suspension.

oh ya welcome to the site!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Check out this topic. I posted the mounting locations there, and there is a lot of additional info.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58089

Edit. Use this link instead.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59302

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey ya.. thanks for the welcome.. i am a more agressive rider.. i use to own a 440 prox but i sold it to by my race bike.. so now i have a 1992 indy i want this sled to beable to take what my pro x did.. i want it to be as MOD as posible... i have reinforced the tunnel .. it has a 4 inch riser block with a 2 inch pivot. is has a renthal fat bar.. simon flex skis and cobra windsheild... i find that every year i am putting new shocks and springs in it.. so what suspension do you think is best for this project?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Based on my findings over the past few weekends when I began my Xtra-12 front and rear swap into my '89 indy 650, I'd suggest not swapping in the X12 suspension. I found that mounting the front hole in your tunnel would require heavy modifications and wouldn't seem worth the effort. I'd also suggest an X10 skid for the rear, as you wouldn't need to change the front suspension to match. I ended up purchasing an X12 chassis from a 95 XLT SP and now have to switch everything over. It should be sweet in the end, but its much, much more of a project than I had expected. Just my .02. If you have any more questions or details let me know and I can post them. I know first hand.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Based on your second post you will want to go with the xtra-10 skid, besides, it's probably an easier project anyway. There is step step instructions for the xtra-10 conversion right here on SF.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yes, I would use an X10 rear suspension and just swap in some FOX front shocks and maybe use the plastic ski spindles for an extra inch in height for the front. It'd handle tons better and be much more agressive.

Or, if your very capable attempt maybe an EDGE rear swap. Some have done it, but I dont know much about these suspensions. I'd assume they are more agressive than even the X10 though. If you need anymore help, dont be afraid to ask!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts