Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple problem, I need to sandblast the rear arm on my skid. I just can't. Get the idlers off next to the tunnel mounts. I got 1 partially off but the bearing is still stuck on the arm(a bad one luckily). How are they held on?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I found out they are just pressed or slid on. I just can't figure out how to get them off the arm without cutting them off. Any tricks? Tips for getting them off?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Empire087 said:
Ok I found out they are just pressed or slid on. I just can't figure out how to get them off the arm without cutting them off. Any tricks? Tips for getting them off?
maybe pully puller will take it off, just n idea

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Soak it with PB Blaster or WD40, that usually get them loose. Sometimes it takes an overnite soak to get them free.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the store today and picked some up. Been sitting for a few minutes now I'll let em soak.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They didn't even budge. I ended up just cutting the races off. Guess I need to go idler shopping.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok back from the dead: what is the best way to put new bearings in idlers?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I usually just use a drift punch, and a hammer, and tap then out with the drift on the inner race only.
They can be a P.I.T.A., but I've alway's been able to get them off without destroying them.

Rick

To take the old bearing's out of the wheel's, you have to take off the inner plastic cap, take out the snap ring, and tap the bearing out.
Putting new one's in is done in reverse order of the above procedure.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a press to get the other ones out. I was able to take a 2x4 and tap the new bearing in. Can't wait to get putting things back together.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Empire087 said:
I used a press to get the other ones out. I was able to take a 2x4 and tap the new bearing in. Can't wait to get putting things back together.
Just make sure you put it back together the right way this time so I don't have to send you another set of wheels......[beatup]

·
Registered
845 Posts
I place the bearing on the hole, put a chunk of 2x4 on top, one hit with a hammer so its flush, then use a big socket same size as the bearing to tap it the rest of the way in. People say its a pain, but it takes me like 10 minutes to pound out my old bearings and put the new ones in. The long part is cleaning everything before putting the new ones in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts