Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I know this is the place for snow & trail reports, But thought more people would see it here.
As I found this story on another board and thought It should be seen. As I hope it will save at least one live and after you read it many more.
I am not reporting trail conditions. Witnessing one fateful incident has now effected myself, several of my dearest friends and about 50 or so passers-by! I am going to get down right blunt and you will not like what I have to say but it needs saying! Too many of you are displaying more and more reckless, careless, and destructive behavior than ever.
You are committing suicide on our trails, endangering others and it has to stop! I am so upset that if I could, I would impound every snowmobile, close down the manufacturers of them and destroy every trail across the country right now!

While grooming Friday night Norm and I, along with several of our friends on the EMS service had the horrifying experience of seeing another rider be added to the growing list of snowmobile fatalities. A man in his mid-forties with two young children, came over a hill on a straight away 5 miles west of Grand Marais as the sun was setting in the
sky and ultimately, on his life. This man did everything wrong; he had been drinking, had not strapped his helmet, had left his group behind, and was traveling far to fast when he simply lost control of his snowmobile. Apparently no one saw the accident but the sled had rolled, pitching the man off and tumbling with him 200 feet before coming to rest crosswise in the trail. He sustained severe injuries and died shortly after arriving at the hospital. A totally avoidable, waste of life.
That's not all - When his buddies found him and went for help, one stayed behind. He was left alone, cradling his dying friend in his arms for what must have seemed like an eternity before we came upon the scene. We called 911 and helplessly waited with him, watching the precious life of his friend and someone's son, brother, husband, and
father slip away. While the snowmobile ambulance rushed the victim to the ambulance waiting at the trail head and then off to the hospital another hour away, we waited with his friends for the police to arrive and make their report. Three and half hours after we arrived on the
scene, the mans friends were able to continue on; a long, 45 mile ride to their motel with their thoughts and mental images of the accident to keep them company. All the while not knowing their friend's fate. I can't imagine how they are coping with what started as a good time only to turn into a trip none will ever forget - for all the wrong reasons!

The State Troopers told us we could just push the sled off the trail and leave it there for more riders to see! Instead, they loaded the remains of the snowmobile onto the groomer and we hauled it and the dead man's unbuckled, undamaged helmet to town and inconspicuously parked it away
from view! We wanted to drop it in front of one of the bars!

This incident is causing me a great deal of anguish. Could I have said or done anything more to save this mans life? How many more children will be orphaned in the name of fun? Can I do anything to save more from this fate? And what if other riders had been coming up that hill when this happened? What if those other riders included that family with 4 children we had just passed 15 minutes earlier!? How many more lives could have ended needlessly? What if our groomer had not come along to put out markers warning unsuspecting riders of the carnage ahead? What if our groomer had been coming up that hill when he lost control? What mental traumas has the sight of this accident caused the passers-by? As morbid as this all sounds, I say it in hopes that more of you think before you take that first drink and carelessly get on a
machine capable of 100+ miles an hour, only to become the next one we have to haul out of the woods, leaving your friends, families and us to cope with those images for the rest of our lives.

Don't commit suicide on the trail! Don't drink or drug and ride, never ride alone, stay alert, and ride safely! If you have a cell phone, take it with you in the event of problems, it could save the life of one your friends or yourself!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
That scares me too, because i was just in upper Michigan last week, and i was thinking about all the drunk sledders that were at the bars. They then go riding, and unfortunately stories like these are the sad truth to what happens to irresponsible riders. Everybody do yourself a favor, and tell your riding buddies not to ride if they've been drinking. It's scary just thinking about it. We are all on the same trails.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I know what you mean,Im from Prince Edward Island and we had a couple of simmiler incedents last year.But try to remember they werent bad people,they just made bad decissions and it has to stop.my condolences to all.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Picture taken from off a trail:

/polarisman/../images/users/Bigwilly/Crashed_sled.jpg

The story that went with it was similar to the one posted above. Only they police took it and made a display right accross the street from the bars right on the trails. Someones loss was being used to help save another. They took it straight from the accident, and placed it and it's peices in that display. It's sad that people STILL HAVEN'T LEARNED THAT DRINKING AND RIDING/DRIVING DO NOT MIX!!! NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDITIONS.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bigwilly that is right from the town I'm from, aslo i know the story behinde it also, as the guy was killed riding on the edge of the lake, coming in off it it is the story behinde it and hit the tree's,, and from what i was told from a EMT and is sad to say but the ravens were there after they left it was so bad, I'm glad you put this picture up so others could see it.
Hey what do you thing of our trails around here ? as i do some grooming for our club, just thought i would ask.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I actually found that pic on a different forum and that is what the story was where I got it from. Sorry if I made it seem like I took it but I must say that it is an eye opener.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Gogebic County sheriff's department is investigating a fatal snowmobile accident.
It happened just after one o'clock Friday afternoon in Ironwood Township.

A 26-year old woman from Wheeling Illinois died at the scene after her snowmobile left the trail and hit a tree.

Her name has not been released yet.

Police say speed and driver inexperience were factors in the accident.

Sorry to here about this woman and my thoughts and prayers are with here family & friends.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was up Munising this weekend and the trails were good. I was a little nervous going up there, theres so many people and trails get chewed up. But they were decent. I think alot of people are going further south since theres snow elsewhere. I hear Iron Mountain is busy. I did see 2 groomers in the first 20 minutes.
At the end of the day going back to Munising they were rough, but thats hard to avoid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A snowmobile accident in Luce County has claimed the life of an Indiana man. Just before 3:00 p.m. yesterday, 41-year-old Gregory S. French was traveling on a trail along County Road 407 in McMillian. He ran off the trail and hit a telephone pole. French was taken to Helen Newberry Joy Hospital where he died from his injuries.

Speed and alcohol are believed to be factors in the crash.
What is it going to take for these people to think before they drink and then get on these sleds ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think we need more law enforcement patrols on the trails. Driving drunk in cars was an epidemic until law enforcement started to make a point to look for drunk drivers and the penalties got as severe as they are now.

I have sympathy for the families of these people, but if you drink and ride and die in an accident, I don't have sympathy for you, because that kind of selfishness could kill some inocent kid. I've seen this senario to many times as I am a firefighter who has to cut children and there parents out of cars that are demolished by some drunk in another car, and he walks away from the accident unharmed. I hate drunk drivers in any mode of tranportation.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am just afraid people acting off emotions are gonna make it tuff on everyone else. I don't condone getting f$cked up and ripping all over, but I don't want to see the trails ending up like the roads. Its to the point where you can barely have a drink with dinner.
With all these accidents was alcohol a factor? Was it the fact these machine go 100 mph and people love to do it. If I have a couple beers wreck my sled now alcohol was a factor, well theres alot of other reasons, snowmobiling can be dangerous. If you don't think people are riding beyond there means why do we all need studs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I keep complaining about this but my wifes sled was hit by a drunk sledder while we were parked at a restaurant (THANK GOD)!!! I love snowmobiling and I love the people that snowmobile. For the most part they are hard working people like myself who enjoy themselves on the weekends. BUT PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND EVERYONE ELSE.. SLOW DOWN ON THE TRAILS..If something happened to my wife I don't know what I would do.. EVERYTIME WE GO SOME IDIOT PASSES US IN THE WOODS AT 80 MPH +++.. I agree this is not always alcohol related but it does impare judgement.

PEACE..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts