Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever ridden from munising to marquette? How far is it, both miles and hours. My nephew and I are planning an Christmas trip. We have to drive up on the 26th, drop somewhere, and are headed to houghton for the night. Can you make houghton in half a day from munising or would we be better off starting from marquette? I would really like to start in seney and ride along the 28 to munising, it looks like a fast and straight shot. We will have the 27th to ride all day in the Keweenaw, but the 28th we will have to ride back to the truck and drive back to traverse city. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I have been to Munising several times and have went every direction but towards Marquette.
we tried a couple of times to do it, but trail 417 out of Munising is a narrow crappy trail that never gets groomed. Also don't waste your time around Christmas, too much traffic and the last 3-4 years has been a bust for snow,got rained on 2 years. Wait till later in the year.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
One time, we rode from the edge of Escanaba to Christmas (right near Munising) to outside of Marquette. (Harvey) It was a pretty long ride, but a good one even though it got pretty damn cold as the sun was going down.
Part of the ride, we rode right on the lake shore.... the frozen mound that builds up between the lake and the land. It was slow-going but it was a good time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
there is no way you're going to be able to make that trip in a half a day, it's about fifty miles by sled from Munising to Marquette and as someone said the trail is narrow and slow going, it takes you to Gwinn first then into marquette. from Munising to Houghton by car is about a 2 1/2 hour drive, by trail I would say at least a whole days ride--nad thats riding at a pretty steady apce the whole way, not much time for messing around. I would say with the way things are right now(snow --or lack there of) if I were you I make my plans to drive and ride right up in the houghton/copper country area as they are likly to get the earlist and best snow in the U.P.

·
Registered
511 Posts
also not many places to stay in the Seney area, if you want to start there your better off to go the other way to Grand Maris or Newberry area. for my money I'd call Houghton area "NOW" to get a motel reservation as they get booked fast once the snow flies, especially around the holidays. Just trailer all the way up to the Keweenaw as that will be your best bet for good riding.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Theres a lot a talk about wanting to come up here seems like. I'll have to let you guys know as we get the snow. Theres nothing yet and not much sign of it anytime soon cuz its to warm and not letting the ground freeze. This time last year we had a way bad snow storm. Guess it decided to not this year, yet.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I would never ever go back to michigan on a weekend. I would let the sled sit and wrot first. it is crazy. way way to many people, to much drinking and riding, all the food and gas stops along the trail are always packed. the trails are always beat to heck. your best bet if you cant go during the week. get up at 4 or 5 in the morning and ride until about 1 pm. by then the drunks are up and riding again. and by 2 the trails are beat to heck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
it all depends where you go madcow, you can't give the whole area a bad wrap just cause you had a bad weekend, how were the snow conditions, if there wasn't any fresh snow theres not alot they can do with the trails, not to mention it was the 4th mildest winter we've had in the last 40 years!!! I don't drink and ride but to say everyone out on the trails are drunks is just stupid!!! I suppose no one over in MN drinks and then rides a sled??? if you go online or call local chambers of commerce you can get trail grooming schedules and plan your rides accordingly. there are alos thousands of forest service roads that are not plowed in the winter that can be riden and make for some really good trips. I am a business owner in the U.P. and a rider and to label the whole U.P. as a bad place to ride isn't fair and saying things like that hurt our winter economy.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I say start in marquett ride the new trail to big bay head west towards lanse the to houghton! Trails are nice usually goomed well and wide, but it will take way more than a half day!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in the Keweenaw, Way up there in the up, Ever here of mohawk about 20 miles south of copper harbor. It was around 40 and sunny today and, not a spec of snow anywere. Had a few big storms but snow was gone in a few days.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Its very possible MADCOW that you just got caught at the worng place at the wrong time, i believe that michigan has some of the best trails, i know you go somewhere and your whole weekend was ruined, its hard to go back, but if you go to some of these places on not such a busy weekend, WOW, they are beautiful, now i live here so of course i am partial but no one has to like it here, more room for me i guess :) (no pun intended)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yay, sounds like a nice cold system is coming and gonna bring some snow last this week for us finally. COME ON LAKE SUPERIOR. Change that thing into a wicked lake effect storm.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I will say this. going from the houghton area west on a nice sunny tuesday. it is very beutifull area. neat long bridges overlooking some good views. and coming back into town in the dark is worth a couple photos.

I dont mean to bash the whole area. we went from the houghton area west and then back. there was a lot of snow but it was wierd snow. burning hyfaxes with a foot of snow on the trail. one gripe i had was the groomer was leaving speed bumps. late at night we got on a trail that just had been groomed. it was so nice. then all of a sudden you would see a shadow in your lights. a big whole and then a big bump. it was a scary big bump. like hit your brakes and crap your pants, and when the sled hit it all you heard was a big crunch and then flew. when we stopped at a bar for a potty break they said it was to get people to slow down.

if I was with a different group of people the ride could have been totally different. if we would have done more off trail riding. or went a different way. things could have been tottally different.

in mn. it is the same. the bars full of idiots. have pulled way to many drunks out of trees. from now on I am checking a persons breath before I help them get unstuck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.