Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy bought an '04 800 RMK a few days ago now. The guy he bought it from couldn't really tell us anything about it. He had bought it to ride in the mountains and never rode it, so it is set up exactlly the way it was from the original owner who we can't find.

It has an SLP pipe, Air Horn, and ATACC system and it is all set up for mountain riding, but we are at about 1200 ft. It came with all the instructions for setting all this stuff up again. We went through it last night, put the right jets and weights and clutch springs in it, cleaned it up and tried to set the ATACC.

I have never worked with an ATACC, but I do understand what it does and for the most part how it works but am still learning.

I have a question a few questions.

First off, do we even need to set it up again?

If we do need to adjust the set up screw, how do we tell where it is set now so we can set it accuratelly?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
There's a line on the unit for the baseline setting if I remember right.

Most likely, you won't need to touch the ATACC, but talk to Holtzmann to be sure.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
do you set the ATACC everytime you change elevations or is it automatic, if its auto i have been told to set your carbs for the maximum jet size you think you will ever use, this gives it a baseline, then it adjusts acordingly, i might have the jet part backwards, but you want it for the lowest elevation at the coldest temp you think you will ever need

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arctic_cat_man1 said:
contact Holtzman Engineering, they make the atacc
I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

shortstop20: we looked for a long time last night for the line, but it must have been damaged because we couldn't find the line they were talking about in the instructions.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Depending on how old the valve body is, some of them didn't have a reference line. If the screw setting has been altered, you have no way of telling what it is set at. In the Holtzman instructions, there are a couple VERY BOLD warnings. Do not turn the plastic screw and how to adjust the internal setting.
If you fooled around with the valve body, and made adjustments, then you might have other issues. I worked on one a couple years ago, where the person changed all the internal settings on the compensator body. We had no idea what it was set at, so I had to send it to Holtzman to have them recalibrate the unit.
If you changed jets to the 1200' mark that's ok, assuming that is your lowest altitude.
Also you may want to disconnect the blue tube and reconnect it to the chamber.
Those are just a few things to look at. The compensator body is the important part.
I too recommend calling Holtzman to get the 100% correct answer. I've talked to them before and they were very helpful.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
If the adjustment of the ATACC has been fiddled with at all, you will have to send it in to Holtzmann for re-calibration.

Dutchman made a good point disconnneting the blue tube and reconnecting it, but you'll be doing that to send the unit in anyways.

ATACC's are to be used by establishing a baseline jetting at the lowest elevation and lowest temp you ride at, after that, you hookup the ATACC and let it go to work.

I had one on my Pro-X, had my baseline set for 1300 ft.(elevation of eastern Dakota plains), rode all the way up to 13,000 ft. with no issues.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has taken it out and is sending it to Holtz to be recalibrated.

Thanks guys for your advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts