Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Found your site. Looking forward to the snow! But before it comes, I'm trying to finalize a private sale purchase of a 2000 500XCSP 45th Ann. The sled is in excellent condition & stock except for he added a boost bottle and changed out the factory clutch. He did all modifications himself and by the looks of his shop, he knows what he's doing, BUT what should I look out for or ask? He said he'd put the old one back in. I don't want to insult the guy or be totally clueless either. Any insight/info is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jay in Vermont

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would find out if it was a clutch kit or homemade then I would see if I could take it for a drive if you can wait till there is snow. Then if everything seems good then I'd keep the non-stock one on. IMO

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Was it just a clutch kit or a totally new clutch?
If it was a kit, ask if he still has the stock parts like the helix springs and weights,
if he does get those with the sled and have them put back in if you don't
like the way she handles.
I ride a '99 500 XC, and looooooove it.
The 2000 SP has the VES as well which is supposed to make a big performance difference.
Get that sled if the price is right.....you will not be disappionted.
Kev

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Very nice sled choice. Personally, i'd take it with the mods installed, but make sure you get all the original stock parts too. Then you can choose which setup you like better.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
sounds like i nice sled....yah i also would also see what kindve clutch it is....i guess id most likely want the original clutch in...but hey if you like how it rides....go for it...good luck on your choice!

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I agree with what everyone else here has said. Keep the mods in if they work well, but definately get the stock parts as well. What does it have for miles? I would definately ask him where and how he rode it as well. Certainly no insult in that. Obviously wide open groomed trails will of been easier on the sled than some ditch banging wash board type trail.

If the miles are reasonable, it just "looks clean" in and out, and you don't find any loose parts (steering, suspension wheels etc), and the price is right.....grab it.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if he made a clutch kit on his own it might be very sensitive to his wieght. if you are close in size i would leave the mod in it but get the stock parts as well. if it doesnt run were it should with you on it than put stock back in it.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
like many poeple have said i would keep the sled with the mods on it...because then thats stuff u dont havta buy later and make sure that he does have all the stock parts and see maybe if he will let u take it in to a dealer so they can check it all out andf make sure that eveyrthing works good on it and see if he installed the clutch right and so on and so forth

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned it yet but do a compression test on it. That can tell you volumes right there. Also take a look at the plugs if they have been in the sled for awhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the advice- Talked more to the seller about the kit, I was going to go for the sled w/ the new clutch kit & he was willing to give the old parts, but.... we couldn't agree on a price. Oh well........I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts