Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought a used SLP silencer on ebay and i got it today and the thing has something inside that is rattling around something fierce. seller described it as used but in fully functional. is there baffels on the inside of those things? or better yet what does the inside of one look like or what could be rattling around in there? i need help asap!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
On the inside of a can there is baffling/glasspack (what ever it is) welded to the sides. Odds are a weld broke and now some of that is flying around and is too big to blow out.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
^^ & I am pretty sure the only way of getting that out is cutting it open and welding it back together.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if it's too big to come out then it could potentially block airflow and cause problems if it rattles into the wrong spot?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats kinda what i am thinking as well the "insidey parts" are broke loose and its f'ed unless i cut it open and re weld it. i think i am just gonna return it and eat the fucking shipping......... damn it i am kinda pissed......

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
NathanExplosion said:
thats kinda what i am thinking as well the "insidey parts" are broke loose and its f'ed unless i cut it open and re weld it. i think i am just gonna return it and eat the fucking shipping......... damn it i am kinda pissed......
Sorry to hear about that there's nothing you could have done. I feel bad for the next guys who's gonna buy that.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I don't really see how something rattling would be a problem unless it is something pretty big.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Most likely the baffle has cracked and broke loose, I had a SLP twin pipe can that did this a number of years ago, I cut the end off to have a look inside and found this out, took it to my local welder at the time and had him zap it back in place and weld the end back on, all was well after that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much $ did that cost to have it rewelded?

ArcticCatZR800 said:
I don't really see how something rattling would be a problem unless it is something pretty big.
when i shake it, something large is rattling around, and it isnt even a shake like an epoleptic at a strobe light convention, its a light shake and its loud.........

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
The baffles are loose and broken and rattling inside. You can run it like that, had that happen to 3 of my cans, one was a replacement directly from SLP. Bought pipe/can from a dealer and SLP sent a new one, they know about them doing this. Buying used might have different results as they look up all sales like they did mine.
Can cut it open and pull baffles out and reweld it. Or reweld baffles in place and reweld can closed. Should just be an hour job for a shop or any hobby welder.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the info guys, the seller on ebay contacted me again this morning and said that he would refund me shipping BOTH WAYS plus my full purchase price of the can...... so that is cool..... i would definatly buy from that guy again...... and he has lots of parts if any of u guys are looking......

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I would have just gotten half of money back and get it repaired, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
myvertxcape said:
The baffles are loose and broken and rattling inside. You can run it like that, had that happen to 3 of my cans, one was a replacement directly from SLP. Bought pipe/can from a dealer and SLP sent a new one, they know about them doing this. Buying used might have different results as they look up all sales like they did mine.
Can cut it open and pull baffles out and reweld it. Or reweld baffles in place and reweld can closed. Should just be an hour job for a shop or any hobby welder.
Will it sound the same as normal once it's on and running?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
It will be a little louder than new as it is, the baffles and packing make it abit quieter but heat cooks the packing and makes it a bit louder over time.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have a speedwerx can and the same thing happened... i hate it but im way to lazy to cut it open and fix it just cz it has a little rattle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts