Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im going to look at a 94 silverado tomorrow. i know what mostly to look for and at in buying used vehicles but im just wondering if you guys have experience with and what all should i look at.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Cab corners. Bed mounts. Exhaust leak. Is it a 305, 350, or 4.3. Auto, or standard? Short bed? Long? Regular cab?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Obviously check the rocker panels and cab corners for rust. Also, check the frame and on the back side of the cab corners for rust. One good spot on the from for rust is right behind the front tires, the frame drops down a few inches and is very exposed. While your under the truck check for leaking seals in the tranny, transfer case(if it's 4WD), etc.

is it an extended cab? 4 wheel drive? What's it got for a motor?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
u may want to ask the guy has he ever had the transmission rebuilt or did he put a new one in, or is it the original. do not be afraid of miles as long it has been taken care of the right way u should be ok. many times I seen people buy a car from a old lady because it has low miles, they sometimes forget that that little old lady may have not let it warm up long or just ran it to the store and turned it off before the engine was warmed up properly. An engines worst friend is cold starts and not getting ran to correct operating temperatures.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, its a 94 silverado 4x4 1500 ext cab short box not sure how big the motor is

the only thing i know of thats broken, well its not there...is the 4x4 shaft that goes to the front..i need to buy one.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sounds stupid I know but, look at the brake pedal for wear. If it's been worn down bad tells you how accurate miles are and what drivers were like depending on the miles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd get under it and look at the CV shafts. Look to see if the rubber boot is cracked. I've had several of these go out on my '90 Silverado and they will pop and grind when you make sharp turns if they are bad. Eventually the ball bearings fall out and you have to replace them. They aren't hard to do (an experienced mechanic should be able to do it in an hour), but they are still a nuisance. I'd also look to see if the rubber cab mounts are wore out. It's pretty easy to see. The trim on the cab and bed won't line up. I've been told this can throw off the linkage between your shifter and transmission. The mounts on mine are bad (the cab sags a bit) and when I put it in park I have to hold the shifter up to take the key out. I'd look the whole thing over to see if any "cobbling" has been done. This can be a clue to how it has been treated and maintained. In my experience, however, you won't notice the little things you missed until you have it for a while. Go over it with a fine tooth comb!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Dragon700 said:
Sounds stupid I know but, look at the brake pedal for wear. If it's been worn down bad tells you how accurate miles are and what drivers were like depending on the miles.
Yes I have heard this too and it makes sense. Looking at the break pedal is even more helpful when the truck has a plow on it because it tells you how many times the break was pushed and shifted while plowing, which seems like it could be rough on the transmission.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
fusionshuk06 said:
Dragon700 said:
Yes I have heard this too and it makes sense. Looking at the break pedal is even more helpful when the truck has a plow on it because it tells you how many times the break was pushed and shifted while plowing, which seems like it could be rough on the transmission.
Better off using the brakes to stop and change direction then just going from D to R, or R to D, like a lot of guys do. Thatll really beat the tranny.

Check to make sure all electrical components and gadgets work. Like power windows and locks and esp gauge lights. These trucks were known to have bad ground issues behind the dash.

Also, like someone else said, check the inside of the frame right behind the front tire.

Those are def good trucks though. Could use a little more power, imo. But def a good dependable vehicle and dont cost a lot to fix and easy to find parts for.

Why is the front drive shaft not there? Was something broken and not fixed properly, was the t-case replaced and it wasnt reinstalled?

Get it out on the highway and make sure all gears shift out properly and itll hold overdrive under light acceleration.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have a 93 silveradeo and i've had a 92silveradeo. deffently check the cab corners and rockers. make sure you let it get up to operating temp like mine it won't knock when cold but when at temp you can here it. and make sure to listen real good for rear end noise. good luck with the truck

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
its been said but check the frame behind the front tires my 95 has a hole there. also look at the frame in the back above the rear tires ive seen a few broke there.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Oil cooler lines, break lines and fuel lines (they tend to go quickly once the 1st one does). Ask if the fuel pump is original.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Any other things to look for when buying a 90s chev? any good questions to ask the owner? i'll be going to look at a reg cab, short box, Z71 shortley, not sure of the year as of right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts