Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
You would have to make sure to clean the system out before using the dexcool. I know the older versions aren't compatible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check out some GM forums, if i am correct alot of people dump "death cool" in favor for the green stuff because of gaskets or plugging, cant quite remember but give it a look.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Its fine. Just dont mix any green with it or it turns to brown swamp water. Some coolants brands actually make green stuff that is compatible with DEX or the old green stuff though i havent used any.

·
Registered
750 Posts
DON'T USE DEX COOL, I WORK AT A CAR REPAIR SHOP, THAT STUFF IS CRAP. IT CORRODES AND EATS THE RUBBER GASKETS. WHEN WE INSTALL INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS, WE FLUSH OUT THE RED CRAP, AND REPLACE IT WITH THE REGULAR GREEN COOLANT. "GOOGLE" DEX COOL PROBLEMS. GM HAS MORE PROBLEMS WITH CARS FROM CANADA, DUE TO THE COLDER WEATHER.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It eats gaskets, ie the numerous chevy 5.7l engines that have intake
manifold gaskets dissolve, and the reason chevy went
with a new rubber gasket style for those engines at least.

but anyway other than "having a tons" of it around
what reasoning do you want to change?

Its not like the sleds hold that much coolant so you'll still have "tons" of dexcool around.

OAT coolants(non green stuff) cool just as well as green, service interval is longer, but thats about it.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I flush my auto systems out and put green in, I won't use Dexcool in anything!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Dex-cool does in fact eat away at the intake gaskets in older 3, 4, and 5 series motors. I work at a GM dealership and I have seen far too many intake jobs being done. The chemical make-up of dex-cool makes it slightly acidic, I would NOT put it in your snowmobile.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would definitely not use Dex Cool either. As stated above it does eat gaskets and during the early stages of development it would actually attack plastics and soft metals such as aluminum. Before GM realized these problems they already had too much money invested in developing Dex Cool, so in some cases they actually had to modify the makeup of their materials to work with it. My dad is a master Ford tech. and has seen it happen many times, I have also seen it myself working with him. I would just hate to see you convert over and it not work out, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
NO! Do not use this stuff as many people have stated it eats away at gaskets, seals, plastics and even aluminum in some cases. I've had the experience of an intake turning into a coolant intake on a 96" bonneville with a 3.8, not good for a motor. Especially considering liquids aren't compressible. Continue to use the green stuff and avoid death cool!!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I to also would say stay the hell away from that crap!!!!! Everyone else has pretty much said all you need to know. I have told every person I know to switch that crap out!!

DW

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Eventually in a car it will start seeping into the crankcase and mix with the oil and soon enough it will hydrolock the engine. Not to mention the external mess it makes as well as the oil mixing with the coolant and contaminating the whole cooling system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wouldnt use it !! Cost me a pair of intake gakets switched to green no problems. Also plugged up wifes heater core twice switched to green no problems ! Makes you wonder what it would do in a heat exchanger??

·
Registered
482 Posts
MORE LIKE DEX CLOG!!!

guys, I'm a GM technician. The reason all the intake gaskets are failing is because of the design, NOT the coolant. You have aluminum butted up to casted steel/iron. THEY LIKE TO EXPAND AND CONTRACT AT DIFFERENT RATES!!!

BUT DEX COOL STILL SUCKS!!! it clogs up anything and everything it can. There is really no benefit to the dex clog, because it may last you longer but you will spend twice the time flusing all the junk out of your radiator, hoses, and reservoir(on a car). But on a snowmobile... just use the green stuff. Really coolant is only there to serve as antifreeze in a snowmobile. If it was summer time you could run straight water, but when you add coolant the boiling point does change, it goes up. Either way...it doesnt matter. just run 50:50 green stuff to water. Period. haha

·
Registered
32 Posts
As stated above, also work for a GM service dept, The problem with DEXCOOL is it gets to high of a Ph level in the coolant because of the alum to iron. The DEXCOOL then starts to eat gsks,plastic intakes,even alum.heads and intakes. Then in doing so clogs up your rad,and h/core with this crap it has ate away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.