Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a used cylinder and piston that I salvaged from a 01 XC Sp 500 of my families that blew up a few years ago.
I now have to replace 1 side piston and cylinder due to an exhaust valve breaking in my 01 XC Sp 500.
I am considering using the used piston with new rings. The cylinder is fine with no wear so that is good to go. Money is kind of tight at the moment and I can't find a new OEM piston for a reasonable price.
The piston in question that I may use has no damage or scuffing, so would you use a used piston with new rings or just wait and find a NOS OEM piston?
I am leaving out the mileage of the used piston unless you feel that is imperative to coming up with a good logical answer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if all looks good I would use it.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would have no issue doing what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Same, I put a used piston, used cylinder and used rings in my 99 xc5 last year and had no issues. Just be sure to use new gaskets/o-rings, and follow torque sequence when loosening/tightening cylinder and base bolts.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I agree, ok to reuse a used piston & cylinder. New rings is a good idea and new o-rings and gaskets are a must.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Yup^. Inspect it carefully, if she checks out, re-ring it, new gaskets and off ya go.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it sounds like I'll just go buy a set of rings and gaskets and o rings then and use it. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
A used piston that has no wear is just as good as a new piston, new rings are a must.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
In my 2000 XCSP 700 I used the old piston on the side that didn't burn down, just re-ringed it. I got another 4000 miles out of that rebuild before the sled went to a new owner. Saw it the other day in the back of a truck in the city here, not sure if the motor is still running on that rebuild or if it has had to be taken apart again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts