Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ZL600 EFI that all of a sudden started using way to much oil. About 1 qt for 35 miles. Never did it before. Smoking like crazy also. (Guess I know where the oil is going) How is the oil injected into the sled? Manually or Electric? How would you check the pump to see if that is where the problem is? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
normally a cable and it fails to full open. Probably the cable broke. It branches off the throttle cable and goes into the block somewhere.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think your cable is caught (seized) in an open possition, cat's have a light pressure return spring on the pump to return it to the idle possition. check to see if the pump lever is returning to the idle mark when tohe throttle is fully off.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from checking out pump lever. No cable is broke and the lever returns to to idle position when throttle is fully off. I also noticed there is a light coat of oil in the belly and around the spark plugs(outside). I am hoping that its only because to much oil is getting into motor. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Gotta be something like what sleddaver's saying, maybe failed or stuck open internally. Try getting a Clymer's Guide and tearing it apart to see what you see. One thing for sure...it has something to do w/ the oil injection system being stuck full open...we just hafta find out why.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also, make sure your cable is adjusted properly. The cable connects to the oil pump on a small flat piece of metal. There is usually a hash mark on this flat piece that is supposed to line up with a hash mark on the engine at Full Throttle. You'll need a flash light and a mirror to see it. Normally, over time the cable will stretch creating a leaner condition. It's hard to imagine the cable tightening up somehow - but ya never know. The cable tension adjustment is right above the oil pump.

·
Registered
414 Posts
On my sled the bracket on the pump was bent uppwards so the adjustment was wrong,and way too rich.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I know some times on my XLT, if I'm not careful putting the mag side carb back on, the arm from the oil pump will hang up on the water catch tube coming out of the bowl from that carb. Be sure the arm is free from any obstructions. Just something else to consider.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Dont worry about the oil in the belly pan,at 35 miles to the quart its gotta go somewhere,its probably just axcess oil that cant be burnt.it has to be in the pump linkage or the pump.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing seems to be hanging up so I am going to pull the pump this weekend to see if I can figure out what went wrong. Hopefully its something minor and can be fixed because I checked out the price for a new pump and it was $421./snofan/../images/users/tvan/scared.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts