Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off a special thanks to madcow for all the help he has given me through a bunch of pms in my ultra powered quad project, you sir are a wealth of knowledge :).

Now I did a compression test this afternoon and came up with 87 or so on the clutch side and mag cylinder, and 95 on the middle cylinder, it also won't start easily in anything colder than minus 15*C, then there's the scratches on the pistons i can snag my fingernail through the exhaust ports, so needless to say it's time to rebuild. Now I've sourced a set of jugs and They are getting recoated as from the scratches i see on the pistons and the engine mileage, i cant forsee the cylinders being in good shape. Now for parts, what are the good brands and parts to get? I know oem is good, weisco just below oem, buts what's better for doing a top end, so pistons, rings, gaskets? Any particular features to look for ( haven't played with aftermarket sled engine internals much), even if it does cost a bit more?

Also since I'll have the engine out to do the rebuild, is there anything else I should change out other than gaskets? Lastly does anyone have a link/ guide on tq specs and/or rebuild manual?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Repair manual is linked here:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/102341-snowmobile-manuals-lots-them
Scroll down to the Polaris section of the first post, click on the 1996-1998 service manual link.

·
Registered
591 Posts
spi is the way to go for topend kits, Wiseco's have to be fit to the cylinder, they have much tighter tolerances than the oem style pistons.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
What do you plugs look like? Did you ever get your jetting right with the new pipes?

If you didn't, you can throw new parts at it, and just have it burn down again.

For pull n go riding get SPI. If you're drag racing get Wiseco.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
What do you plugs look like? Did you ever get your jetting right with the new pipes?

If you didn't, you can throw new parts at it, and just have it burn down again.

For pull n go riding get SPI. If you're drag racing get Wiseco.
Jetting is pretty well bang on with a nice cardboard colour, could stand to drop the jets by a size on the clutch side cylinder, but overall it's pretty good.

Thanks for the link, and sip sounds like the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts