Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done adding V Force 3 reeds and a SLP boost bottle to my sled, a 98 XC 700. This is just some of my mods I plan for to help pass the time in the off season. I soon plan to add twin pipes, and a performance clutch kit. The reeds were $250, and the boost bottle was about 30 bucks. I fired it up after I was done, and it sounded nice, had a nice brap brap sound to it./polarisman/../images/users/lifttillithurts/Dcp_0001.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
since I am not a mechanic, I was wondering if you could explain how the "Boost bottle" works? and...what is the advantage of V-force 3 reeds over say Boyeson reeds?

·
Registered
777 Posts
if i can make a suggestion,add some slp power pacs,they work well
and where the pto oil line runs accross the front of the boots,make sure it doesn,t touch the boots, vibrations will cause the boots or line to rub through, and basicly make sure nothing rubs on the bottle,

VTSheener
the bottle acts as a balance bottle,equalize the pressure to both carbs.when one carb is on the intake stroke and the the reed valves open,fuel charge flowing, then when the reeds close,instead of the fuel coming to a stop it actually continues to the other clyinder through the boost bottle,giving a boost (sort off) to the other cly. there more to it then that,buts that the drift of it.i have used carbon tech with good results, PIPE,HEADS,the more mod your motor is, the better v-force work, but durabilty apperently isn,t very good with the v-f
the main advantage of v-f is that they flow more, 4 reeds per cage

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Looks good lift. You should have a nice little rocket once you get the pipes and clutching done! Be sure to take pics and post em' as you go.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Lifttillithurts....did you also have to replace the carb boots? the ones pictured here look a little different.(and is that part of the "kit"?)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope, I used the stock carb boots. I actually said forgott the directions about cutting them out, and used a rotary tool with the dry wall bit to cut out the rubber where the plug is in the bottom of the hole. That actually worked really well, becasue it created a nice smooth finish to the wall, and reduces turbulence as it enters and exits the boost bottle.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by tifa_5_2000
[br]boost bottle and twin pipes is a nono.
Please elaborate. Why is it a "no no"

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I ahve never heard of a proble with boost bottles and exhaust. All you are doing is equalizing the pressure to each carb. You need to adjust jetting with twin pipes anyway. So how can it be a problem?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I'll just throw my 2 cents in.

I too wanted to add a little juice to my wifes XC500. I bought "xcompany's" boost bottle. Well after lots of tinkering with the carbs to get it right, i found that the sled ran better without the boost bottle. So then i decided to do some research on what they do. Basically through lots of reading and other newsgroups i found that boost bottles dont do a whole lot on low CC twins. They are most effective on the 700 and 800's. The dealer and a local race mechanic both told me to take it off. Moral of the story, now i research before i buy anything. I wish i had the scientific numbers but basically it sounds like the low cc engines just dont need the balancing in the carbs. yes it could have been a tuning issue but i spent a lot of time tinkering and praying that my plugs looked ok at the next stop...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97 polaris sks 700, and i already have v-f reeds and slp twin pipes. would it be a good idea to go ahead and put the boost bottle on?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Cooner, I know this was your first post and it was good that you searched but this forum would appreciate that old posts do not get brought up. You could make your own thread if you wish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts