Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a backseat reader here until after this last weekend. I know that the old oil question has been beat to death but I need your input. My brother bought himself a 2003 Skidoo Renegade 600HO with 1800 miles this past summer. Previous owner used a off brand sinthetic oil. My brother topped the tank off with Skidoo oil before we left for the weekend on a trip. We put on 150 miles when his temp light came on. he ended up loosing a piston and cylendar and towed it back 50 miles to trailor. After all was said and done it costed $1550 to fix. [V] The dealer said it was partly due to the oil. That you should ONLY use your manufacturers brand of oil. As the good ole saying goes...all the major snowmobile manufacturers do major testing on their brand of oils, so they know how the sleds will perform on the oil. Now my wife and I have 2 Arctic Cat ZRs. A 01 ZR600efi and a 02 ZR500 Cross Country. All my wifes sled (02) has ever had run in it is Klotz. She has put on 1600 miles with no problems but when her brother told the dealer about her using Klotz, he said she should change back to Arctic Cat. [?] We've stayed with Klotz as thats all the sled has ever had but is it a good idea to change to Arctic Cat or not? Her sleds power valves needed to be cleaned at 900 miles. Is this also due to the oil or is this normal and would Arctic Cat oil help the power valves? [?] Input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
the oil thing is NOT true. ive used amsoil in ALL my sleds and never had a problem, the only reason they want you to use brand oil is profit. now the part that MAY have done harm is mixing the 2 oils but i do not think that is what happened. improper jetting and a leaky seal may have done the harm. ALL dealers say to use the oil the MANUFACTURER says to use.cat says to use cat oil, polaris says to use polaris oil, yammi says to yammi oil, and so on and so forth. i would check on other reason why it took a piston out.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Did your brother top it off with regular Ski-doo oil or synthetic? They should never be mixed and it is said to not mix brands either.

I don't know about the power valves, but as long as your running oil made for them you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I had bad luck when I last mixed a tank of oil of unlike manufacture's...ended up blowing up the motor. I think that was due to using a cheap oil when I was in a pinch and low on oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you got ripped big time the o3 doo have BAD RINGS the plating flakes off the ring AND =MELTDOWN+ON THAT SLED THE CRANK SEALS ARE ALSO BAD=MELTDOWN CHECK OUT JOHNDEE.COM they talk about those 03 doos alot i think this will help you MAYBEE GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I use A.C. A.P.V snynthetic oil with no problems yet! The valves needed to be cleaned at 1200 miles! Probably should of done it sooner though! Is the oil you use syn. and is it for power valves? If it is your fine, I dont like to mix/change oils, But doo's are known for bad rings between 99-03. Blew the motor on my 00 mxz 700 with 1400 miles and only used ski-doo xps synthetic in it!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by robertallen12
[br]you got ripped big time the o3 doo have BAD RINGS the plating flakes off the ring AND =MELTDOWN+ON THAT SLED THE CRANK SEALS ARE ALSO BAD=MELTDOWN CHECK OUT JOHNDEE.COM they talk about those 03 doos alot i think this will help you MAYBEE GOOD LUCK
Welcome to TUSF

I seen that all over online too.. it was just in an issue of snowgoer a few months ago also!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts