Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 99 powder special 600 EFI gets very very poor gas mileage, i havent really figured it out, but i have 122 miels on my trip meter from this year, and i have put at the least, 20 gallons of gas in it, even w/ the soft snow condtions here, it should get alot better mileage to that, at least 100 miles to 10 gallons of gas, to a tank of gas (i usually fill b4 it gets to the lines approaching empty) i might get 40-50 miles, i dontt think it is a gas leak as i dont smell any gas in my shop where i have my sled sittin right now, and even if it just leaked when running, it would leak somewhere ont he sled so i would be able to smell it, it burns oil fairly normal and the plugs dont get fouled, i am praying right now that my ECU isnt screwed up as that is just a wee bet expensive to replace, at least $600

as a side note, when my track is spinning at low speeds (prolly the only time i can hear it) it ticks, like it is catchin somewhere, or something is catching, when i turn it by hand i cant tell if it is in the same spot that it ticks or if it is just random

i was just out investigating my problems and it wasnt the most enjoyable experience, i also found out that every single one of my paddles on the outside of the track is breaking......sometimes snowmobiles can piss me off so much, mainly the maintenence part, preventive maintenence i can live with, but stuff u gotta fix when u wanna ride makes ACG a very unhappy boy...

·
Registered
8 Posts
HAS IT BEEN BETTER?? I WOULD CHECK YOU ROLLING PARTS FOR DRAG (IDLE WHEELS,BEARINGS,ECT).LOOK AT CLUTCH PARTS,BELT, THINGS THAT COULD ROB POWER.TRY THE EASY STUFF FIRST.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know why the paddles are breaking will...lol....i just had to put that down cuz i noticed that.... im thinkin it could be something in the clutching.......

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would also check or have someone else check all the sensors for the motor, as well as the fuel pressure at the rail. Any one of these could make your mileage go to pot in a big hurry...

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i appear to have found the problem of the ticking in the track, the secondary appears to have some play in it, i am goin to the dealer now to pick up a trailer and will take alook at the other sleds and ask what they think, if the bearing is goin to crap or what the problem is......

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
ACG,
How many miles on the 99?
Is your track racheting (ie to loose)
How do you ride.
I've burned a 13 gallon tank of gas in 53 miles before, but I have also gotten 100+ out of a tank. Lots of variables.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its prolly gettin around 2000 on it now, odemeter reads 600 but its a different hood, the track is good, i checked that today, the ticking noise was the drive shaft bearing, moisture got in and i pumped grease into it (hopefully just in time) and water came out and the noise quit for now, hopefully that holds together as its not an easy fix, i ride pretty agressive, i think some of the poor mileage may be to improper clutching as now that i look it maybe overevving a few hundred RPM

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Just overreving a few hundres RPM wouldn't make it that hard on gas, something is sticking.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
some guy around here that had the same sled as me a few years ago said his was real hard on gas, and if it is clutched for the mountains and u ride it here and it overrevs, it will make it pretty hard on gas, how can i tell if it has been chipped? that will make it even harder on gas

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
My sled is quite hard on gas right at the momment. The gass milage you are getting is horrible though. I can get at least 100 miles per tank on mine. RIght now though there is a leak somewhere that I have to find. I think thats where all my gas is going. [:(]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts