Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up 2 2001 polaris 550 indy supersport edge, the 2 polaris that i picked up just drop to the ground when you go to sit on them and stays there when you get off, once your sitting on then there is no suspension travel downward. both sleds only have 1100 miles on them, what are my options thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
polarisorbust said:
both of them do this?
one is worse than the other, i bought them off an older couple who had them for there kids but the sleds have been sitting for some length of time. 2006 was the last time it had new numbers on it they have been sitting on a trailer since then in a garage and rode maybe once or twice a winter, im only 195 and 6'0 i wouldnt think i would bottom out the suspension just sitting on them. there not fox shocks, do i do a rebuild or look into getting used fox shocks and have them rebuild?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
What is the suspensions set to? Are they both on the light settings? The front shock in the rear could be turned way down, try turning the spring up. Look at your blocks, those sound like they could be turned up a notch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i messed with the settings last night on the rear if i turn them up or down there is no change, the front rear shocks im pretty sure are stock setting because the couple that owned it did nothing to them but change the oil.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sounds like the torsion springs are either broken or completely sacked and probably the cross-shafts are dry and rusted preventing the suspension from rebounding and working freely. Need to drop the skid and replace springs and shocks and grease all the fittings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theres no rust under it, i really dont want to drop the skid im thinking its the shock. maybe leaked at one point seals got dried out

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Grease the skid and have the shocks rebuilt...

After that, if it still doesn't spring back, replace the springs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just went out to look at it one last time before i go to work and i notice the top of the rear shock is wet it wasnt like that yesterday

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So leaking shock

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, i can get a rebuilt all serviced fox ps for 137 is it worth it or should i look into something different, my riding consists of agressive trails and high speed trails.

i also found a ps3 from a 05 edge will 05 bolt into the 01 edge?

·
Registered
814 Posts
You can replace just the shocks- it sounds like they're bad- but that wont solve all your problem. Shocks don't hold the suspension up- they only dampen the movement of the suspension. If the suspension collapses and doesn't return the springs are sacked.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^or there isnt enough gas/pressure to push them back up.

chris_w_2008 if you like agressive riding, then when you get the shock rebuilt I would recomend telling the guy who is doing the service what type of riding you do and maybe have him revalve it to your liking. You really should see if all four shock are rebuildable...if so spend the money and have them all done. In the long run you will be happier. Went riding with a guy two years ago and he would always rebuilt just the rear two shocks every year, never the front two so half way through one ride he hit a bump and the front end dropped right down and locked (looked like a drag sled) and the shock wouldnt push back up. Found out it only had 60psi of pressure in each shock. Also once I watched my father-in-law rebuild my shocks one summer and seeing how black the liquid was just after one year of riding...an every year rebuild is a must. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i planned on sending the fronts out before snow starts flying, i think im just going to start with the rear most shock and replace it, should i do anything with the front most shock on the track? its just all back polaris shock. also should i go with a foxps or the fox ps3 that came of an 05? thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
Several points on this none of your shocks are rebuildable unless they have been replaced so buying others is the only option. The most common to find would be PPS2 or PPS3. It is very hard to find either the clicker or PPS clicker from the 05. For general trail riding the PPS2 or 3 would either work fine. They will ride the same. When you buy a used one make sure the shock shaft has no pits in it. Also as stated before the shock does not push the sled up with gas or without. In fact yours never had gas so they never pushed it up. By chance are the skis sitting on dollies? If so take them off as that is causing the rear to sag. If the sled is completely flat on the ground then look at the spring rollers and make sure they are not flat spotted. Also look at the rear lower torque arm mount is it in the center hole?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If the shocks are stock, they arnt rebuildable. Also, fox PS's arnt even that great. It would be an upgrade from your junk stock ones though. I think our parts guy sells rebuilt rear position sensitive shocks for around 90 bucks, but im not 100% positive on that.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i run a PS2 on the rear of my RMK and love it, responsive and takes a woopin. Any edge shock should fir just measure first to be sure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts